Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta Soup
- 6 ounces mini Farfalle pasta or Rigatoni
- olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 2-3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (3 for more spicy)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 32 oz. carton Swanson® Louisiana Cajun Flavor Infused Broth
- 1 14.5 oz. can Swanson® Chicken Broth
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream mixed with 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup frozen petite peas, thawed
- 1 10 oz. can tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons lime juice plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup fresh basil cut into thin strips
- chopped bacon for garnish (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon olive oil and Cajun Spices. Add chicken and coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes (time permitting) as you prep the other ingredients.
- After 30 minutes, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook, undisturbed for 2-4 minutes, or until nicely browned on one side. Turn chicken over, add ½ cup Cajun Broth, cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook for approximately 6-8 more minutes (depending on thickness of chicken), or until chicken is cooked through. Remove to a cutting board and let rest 5-10 minutes before dicing into bite size pieces.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta al dente in generously salted water. Rinse and set aside.
- Melt butter in large stockpot over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onions and cook until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Add bell peppers and garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Sprinkle in flour and cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes.
- Gradually stir in remaining Cajun Broth, chicken broth and heavy cream. Bring soup to boil, then reduce to a simmer, stirring frequently until thickened to desired consistency, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Return chopped chicken to the pot along with peas, tomatoes, and cooked pasta. Simmer until heated through then stir in Parmesan until melted followed by lime juice and basil.*
- Taste and add additional salt, pepper cayenne/hot sauce to taste.
- Garnish individual bowls with fresh lime juice and bacon (optional).
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @CarlsbadCravings and Use #CarlsbadCravngs
Leave a Review, I Always Love Hearing From You!