I love sweet potatoes. But you know when I give thanks for them the most? Thanksgiving time! – smothered in brown sugar, cinnamon and toasted marshmallows. Yet, as much as I love comforting “sweet potato casserole,” the tantalizing combination of flavors only dances on my tongue once a year. Pity. I knew there had to be another way to enjoy brown sugar sweet potatoes year round…
So Brown Sugar Sweet Potato Fries with Butterscotch Marshmallow Dip was born. Oh yes, this is so happening.
But first, let’s talk about the white elephant in the room. Or more accurately, let’s talk about the white sweet potatoes. Did you know there are white sweet potatoes? They are a little less sweet and more starchy than their orange counterparts, but taste very similar. So apparently I am color blind, because I proceeded to peel, toss, bake and photograph my brown sugar, sweet potato fries without even thinking twice that they were white instead of orange. It wasn’t until I was making another recipe with white sweet potatoes (its the only variety my grocer carries) weeks later that Patrick asked, “Aren’t they supposed to be orange?”
Woops. They sure would be a lot more attractive if they were! But yes, these are sweet potatoes. If you can’t find orange sweet potatoes at your local grocery store (not to be confused with yams), then white sweet potatoes will do just fine. If your grocery store does carry orange sweet potatoes, then I’d go with those because they are inherently sweeter.
So back to these white Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Sweet Potato Fries with Butterscotch Marshmallow Dip. The name really does say it all and at the same time doesn’t say it all – at all.
It doesn’t describe how these baked fries are the easiest, tastiest snack or appetizer and are quite healthy if you skip the dip – or just indulge in a little.
It doesn’t describe how easy they are to make – simply toss the potatoes in cornstarch and cornmeal for crispiness, and coconut oil, cinnamon, brown sugar, cloves and nutmeg…
It doesn’t describe how the brown sugar and cinnamon caramelize with the cornmeal to create a slightly crisp texture on the outside giving way to soft sweet potato inside.
It doesn’t describe that to make the addictingly delicious Butterscotch Marshmallow Dip all you do is melt butterscotch chips, heat some marshmallow fluff with a smidgen of milk then mix in cinnamon.
It doesn’t describe how when the coated sweet potato fries are bathed in the creamy butterscotch marshmallow dip (seriously that stuff is ridiculous, so good!) enter your mouth there’s an explosion of brown sugar, cinnamon, marshmallow sweetness.
And it doesn’t describe how it can taste like Thanksgiving year round with these Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Sweet Potato Fries with Butterscotch Marshmallow Dip.
Just as it should be.
Tools Used in This Recipe
Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Sweet Potato Fries with Butterscotch Marshmallow Dip
Save This Recipe To Your Recipe Box
You can now create an account on our site and save your favorite recipes all in one place!
Brown Sugar Cinnamon Sweet Potato Fries
Easy Butterscotch Marshmallow Dip
- 3 tablespoons butterscotch chips
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup marshmallow fluff
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or nonstick baking mat. Set aside.
- Wash, peel and cut potatoes into ¼ inch wide fries. Add fries to large bowl and toss with cornstarch until thinly coated. Discard any extra cornstarch. Add coconut oil and toss to coat. Add cornmeal, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and cloves and toss to coat (its okay if there is brown sugar mixture left in the bowl).
- Evenly space sweet potatoes on prepared baking sheet so that they are not touching (otherwise they will steam instead of bake) and sprinkle any remaining brown sugar mixture over top. Bake on the upper middle rack for 20-25 minutes, rotating pan half way through so they bake evenly. When fries are cooked, broil 3-5 minutes, rotating half way through, or until golden and edges start to brown
- To make the marshmallow fluff, add butterscotch chips and ½ teaspoon coconut oil to a small bowl and microwave on medium heat for 30 seconds, stir, then continue to microwave and stir at 30 second intervals until softened and easy to stir (1-2 minutes).
- In a separate bowl, add marshmallow fluff and 1 tablespoon milk. Microwave on medium for 20 seconds. Add melty butterscotch and cinnamon and stir until evenly combined.
*If you are doubling, tripling the batch, etc., only bake one potato per baking sheet otherwise they will be overcrowded and steam
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @CarlsbadCravings and Use #CarlsbadCravngs
Leave a Review, I Always Love Hearing From You!
Carlsbad Cravings Original