Thank you McCormick® for sponsoring this One Pan Baked Garlic Herb Chicken with Scalloped Sweet Potatoes post. All opinions are my own.
Juicy Garlic Herb Chicken baked in ONE PAN with Parmesan mozzarella Scalloped Sweet Potatoes!
This Garlic Herb Chicken with Scalloped Sweet Potatoes is a meal-in-one dinner that is knock-your-socks-off delicious and destined to become one of your new favorite dinners! Impressive enough for company, easy enough for everyday!
Oh my goodness you guys, I could eat this entire pan of Garlic Herb Chicken and Scalloped Sweet Potatoes all by myself and giddily savor every flavorful, juicy, melt-in-your-mouth second of it. AKA I crave this chicken like no other. And so will you!
You will also love this Garlic Herb Chicken and Scalloped Sweet Potatoes like no other because the chicken AND the potatoes bake right in ONE pan! We still use a second pan to brown the chicken – but the actual chicken and potatoes bake in one pan – so both your main dish and your side dish are ready at exactly the same time with no extra hassle.
Now you might think that is the best perk of the one pan dish, but the BEST part is that as the chicken thighs bake, their spice rubbed juices soak into the layers of sweet potatoes for the most flavorful scalloped sweet potatoes. So now we have the best Chicken + best scalloped sweet potatoes = the BEST meal!
What makes the chicken so restaurant worthy is the delectable Wet Rub of some of your pantry staple spices. I don’t cook anything without my staples of McCormick® Salt, McCormick® Black Pepper, McCormick® Onion Powder and McCormick® Garlic Powder. You add those seasonings to just about anything in the right quantity, and you are going to have a flavorful dish.
Now, to create this Wet Rub, we add those seasonings along with McCormick® paprika, dried parsley, oregano thyme and cumin to splashes of Dijon, soy sauce and olive oil, and mix them all together. We rub 1 tablespoon all over our chicken, sear our chicken and then smother our chicken with the remaining rub to bake. Once you taste this Baked Garlic Herb Chicken, I guarantee it will become your new go-to Wet Rub with our without scalloped potatoes.
To the juices in our now empty searing skillet, we whisk in 1 tablespoon flour followed by milk (made lighter with no heavy cream!), sliced onions, garlic, dried chives, salt and pepper. Bring this to a simmer for just 5 minutes or so to thicken. The onions and garlic will continue to cook in the oven and unlock their aromatic flavors. We then toss our thinly sliced sweet potatoes with the sauce so they get completely coated. Then layer potatoes, cheese (as much or as little as you like) potatoes, cheese and chicken.
The entire meal may look impressive but is actually quite simple and rather quick to assemble. The only key to success is to slice your potatoes no thicker than 1/8″. We want our potatoes to be done cooking at the same time as our chicken so it’s better to error on the side of thin potatoes – it’s better to have softer potatoes with fully cooked chicken then al dente potatoes with fully cooked chicken.
As far as the actual chicken, I prefer skinless, bone-in chicken thighs for extra juicy and wonderfully economical chicken, but feel free to use chicken breasts as well (with adjusted cooking time). Just be aware that the leaner the meat, the less juicy the chicken. You will want to rub and sear the chicken breasts just like the chicken thighs but don’t add them to the top of the potatoes until the potatoes have been cooking 30 minutes – then add the chicken breasts the last 20 minutes as they don’t take as long to cook and we don’t want them to dry out from cooking too long. (THIS IS FOR CHICKEN BREASTS ONLY).
Now I will leave you to giddily devour your entire pan of Garlic Herb Chicken and Scalloped Sweet Potatoes. The meal you will crave like no other.
Want to try this One Pan Baked Garlic Herb Chicken with Sweet Potatoes?
Pin it to your CHICKEN, DINNER, ONE POT Board to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
Baked Garlic Herb Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed (approx. 2 ½ lbs)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or more to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese or more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced, then quartered
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Dried Chives
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® salt
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine all of the Wet Rub ingredients together in a small bowl. Remove 1 tablespoon and rub this tablespoon all over the chicken.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Once very hot, add chicken and brown 2-3 minutes per side. Remove chicken to a plate. (Don’t clean skillet) Once cool enough to handle (you can wait until you’ve sliced your potatoes), smother the chicken with the remaining Wet Rub.
- Drain all but approximately 1 tablespoon grease/juices from skillet. Whisk in flour and turn heat to low. Slowly whisk in milk. Add all remaining “Herb Sauce” ingredients to now empty skillet. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer until thickened (approximately 3-5 minutes, it should be quite thick), stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, grease a 9x13 casserole dish and slice potatoes into 1/8” slices.
- Add potatoes to Herb Sauce and remove from heat. Toss to coat. (It might seem like there isn't enough, but just keep stirring.)
- Layer half of the potatoes/onions/sauce mixture evenly into your greased 9x13 pan. Top with half of the Parmesan and mozzarella. Repeat layers.
- Add chicken on top of potatoes and cover with foil. Bake for 40 minutes, remove foil and bake and additional 10-15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are fork tender. Broil for a few minutes to toast cheese if desired. Remove and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.*
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @CarlsbadCravings and Use #CarlsbadCravngs
Leave a Review, I Always Love Hearing From You!
Carlsbad Cravings© Original
NEVER MISS A CARLSBAD CRAVINGS CREATION:
You might also like: