Chicken Burrito Bowls
These Chicken Burrito Bowls are easy, make ahead friendly, customizable, hearty and most importantly, DELICIOUS! I guarantee they are going to become a dinner favorite AND they are fabulous for entertaining too (burrito bar anyone?) These chipotle burrito bowls are loaded with juicy chipotle chicken (with other chicken options too!), rice, black beans, corn, avocado crema with tons of possible add-ins. This burrito bowl recipe is perfect for meal prep for on the go lunches or easy dinners any night of the week – because you are going to want to eat them EVERY day of the week!
Servings 4 bowls
Bowls (all or your favs)
- 4 cups cooked rice (white, brown or cauliflower) seasoned with salt, pepper, lime
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (sharp Monterrey or pepper Jack)
- 1 1/2 cup chopped Romaine or iceberg lettuce
- 1 15 oz. can black beans rinsed, drained and warmed
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes or 2 chopped Roma tomatoes
- Fresh sweet corn from 2 cobs
- 1-2 tablespoons finely minced fresh cilantro
Avocado Crema: Add all of the Avocado Crema ingredients to your blender and blend until smooth, scraping sides down as needed. May make 8 hours ahead of time, press plastic wrap against the surface of the crema in an airtight container and refrigerate.
Chicken: Prepare chicken according to directions. While the chicken is resting/marinating, you can make the rice and prepare all of the toppings.
Assemble: When rice is done, immediately divide it between 4 bowls and top with cheese (so cheese melts). Top cheese with chicken, other desired Burrito Bowl ingredients and finish with a big dollop of Avocado Crema.
Choose your chicken! These Burrito Bowls are also delicious with:
- Burrito Bowls will last approximately 3-5 days in the refrigerator.
- The cooked/warm components can be stored together: chicken, rice, black beans and will allow you to heat them in the microwave without heating the fresh components.
I suggest storing the fresh/cold components in separate containers: lettuce, tomatoes, mangos, etc. so they don’t make each other soggy and stay as fresh as possible.
Burrito Bowls make excellent meal prep if you want to prep them ahead of time and serve later. Simply pack the warm ingredients together and the cold ingredients separately. Here’s how:
- Divide rice between 4-6 containers.
- Top with cheese followed by chicken, beans and corn.
- Don’t close containers until chicken has cooled.
- Chop lettuce, tomatoes and cilantro and store in separate plastic bags or airtight containers so you can reheat the warm ingredients without wilting the fresh ingredients.
- Blend Avocado Crema in the blender and transfer to an airtight container. Press a piece of plastic wrap against the surface of the crema, cover and refrigerate OR divide between 4-6 plastic bags, squeeze out excess air and twirl the bag to eliminate extra air.