This grilled zucchini is an essential, epic side dish that will win over even the toughest zucchini critics - it might even upstage the main course! It transforms plain, humble zucchini into a bright yet simple, elevated, side laced with lemon, garlic and Italian seasonings. The recipe is simple to make by tossing all the ingredients together then grilling outdoors or on an indoor grill pan. This grilled zucchini and squash is also fabulous to make for company because it’s vegan, gluten-free, low carb, keto and Whole30 friendly– win, win, win! I’ve also included several seasoning/flavor variations so you can mix up this recipe to suit your mood. And bonus, this grilled zucchini recipe works with summer squash as well! Serve your grilled zucchini alongside all your favorite cookout foods like NY Strip Steak, Best Burgers and Balsamic Chicken for a tasty meal everyone will be raving about.
Servings 6 -8 servings
- 6 small to medium zucchini, ends trimmed off, cut into 1/3-inch wide planks
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (1 lemon)
- zest of 1 lemon
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp EACH dried parsley, dried basil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or ½ tsp table salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Whisk all of the ingredients together except the zucchini in a freezer size sealable bag. Add the zucchini and turn to coat. Marinate for 20 minutes at room temperature or up to 2 hours in the refrigerator if making ahead.
Preheat a grill to 400-425 degrees F or an indoor grill pan to medium-high heat. Clean and grease the grill/pan.
Let the marinate drip off of the zucchini (don't rub off) and add the zucchini to the grill in a single layer. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or just until crisp-tender (don’t overcook!). Transfer to a serving platter and brush with some leftover marinade if desired. Best if served immediately (will soften as it cools).
*See the recipe post for lots of recipe variation ideas and how to use leftovers.
How to store zucchini
- To Store: refrigerate grilled zucchini in an airtight storage container for up to 3 days in a single layer or with parchment in between the layers.
- To Reheat: line the zucchini in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F until warmed through, 5-10 minutes or rewarm at 20 second intervals in the microwave.
- Can I freeze zucchini? I do not recommend freezing grilled zucchini because it is 94% water and will become mushy once thawed.