Easy Creamy Caramel Sauce
This Caramel Sauce Recipe is rich, creamy, buttery, sweet and 1,000X better than any store bought caramel sauce! This easy Caramel Sauce recipe is FOOL PROOF, ready in 5 MINUTES and lick-the-spoon delicious!
Servings 2 .5 cups
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk plus more as needed depending on desired consistency
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Add butter, brown sugar, water, and salt to medium saucepan and heat over medium-low heat, stirring until butter melts.
Bring to a boil then reduce to a vigorous simmer, whisking constantly until thickened, approximately 5-7 minutes. Keep in mind, the caramel sauce will thickens more as it cools. (If the caramel sauce still looks thin after you remove it from the heat, then return to a simmer.)
Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup evaporated milk (it will bubble a lot) and vanilla. Add additional evaporated milk to reach desired consistency.
Don't miss the "how to make" recipe video at the top of the post!
- Consistency: the type of pan, size of pan, and level of simmer all affect the caramel consistency, consequently, the end result will not be the same for everyone. To that end, I suggest starting with 1/2 cup evaporated milk and if you would still like thinner caramel, then you can stir in additional evaporated milk.
- Storage: Store Caramel Sauce in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to three weeks. Caramel is safe at room temperature on cakes, brownies or gifts for up to three days.
- Freeze: You can also freeze the sauce for up to 3 months. Just make sure to use an airtight container that's NOT glass because the milk expands when frozen and can rupture the glass. Defrost the sauce overnight in the fridge and warm gently before using.
- Reheat: This caramel reheats beautifully in the microwave or stovetop.