Easy Garlic Parmesan Butter Breadsticks
You NEED this breadsticks recipe in your life! Soft, buttery, melt-in-your-mouth breadsticks dusted with Parmesan, garlic and herbs. They bake IN BUTTER, which means they are the epitome of addicting. These breadsticks are better than any restaurant’s (even Olive Garden’s!) and are super EASY to make at home. We make these breadsticks by the dozen for all our family gatherings, and they always disappear in a flash!
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups very warm water (105 -115 degrees)
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- garlic salt and Parmesan OR Garlic Parmesan Seasoning below
Garlic Parmesan Seasoning
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Add butter to a rimmed baking sheet and place in oven to melt, being careful not to burn butter. Remove when melted.
In the bowl of your standard mixer, combine yeast, water & sugar. Set aside and let sit 5-10 minutes or until yeast is foamy and dissolved. If it doesn't get foamy, then start again. (Either your water was too cold/too hot or your yeast is too old).
Gradually add salt and flour to the yeast, mixing on LOW with your hook attachment for 1 minute. Once combined, continue to mix on medium-low speed for approximately 5-7 minutes. If your dough is too wet, add up to 1/4 cup more flour one tablespoon at a time. After kneading, your dough should be smooth and elastic and slowly bounce back when pressed with a finger. If not, continue to knead.
Transfer dough to a cutting board and divide into 15 equal balls. (If dough is too sticky, you can spray your hands with nonstick spray). Roll dough into sticks and place on buttered baking sheet. Roll sticks butter. (There will be remaining butter on the baking sheet after rolling breadsticks.)
Top dough breadsticks with garlic salt and Parmesan OR Garlic Parmesan Seasoning (Note that you will NOT use all of the seasoning*). Let the breadsticks rise for 15-20 minutes.
Bake breadsticks for 15 -20 minutes or until golden. Best served warm.
**Garlic Parmesan Seasoning
The extra seasoning is delicious in pasta or garlic bread. To make garlic bread, combine 1 1/2 tablespoons of seasoning with 1/2 cup of softened butter and spread on two halves of French bread. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until butter is melted.
How to Freeze Breadstick Dough
- After you knead the dough, shape the dough into a ball.
- Spray mixing bowl with nonstick cooking spray or brush with olive oil.
- Add dough to the bowl and turn to coat.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise in a warm area for 1-2 hours, or until dough has doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down to release the air then divide into two equal balls.
- Coat each dough ball with nonstick cooking spray or brush lightly with olive oil.
- Place each dough ball into a separate freezer size bag, squeeze out excess air and seal.
- Label and freeze for up to 3 months.
- When ready to use, defrost dough in the refrigerator overnight, or for at least 12 hours.
- Remove the dough from the from the freezer bag and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Continue with recipe, dividing dough into 15 balls.
How to Freeze Breadsticks
You may freeze baked breadsticks BUT frozen breadsticks won't be as soft and tender.
- Let breadsticks cool completely.
- Place baking sheet in the freezer and freeze breadsticks until solid, about 1 hour.
- Add breadsticks to a freezer bag, squeeze out excess air and label.
- Alternatively, you can skip the flash freeze and wrap each breadstick individually in plastic wrap before adding to a freezer bag.
- Freeze breadsticks for up to 3 months.
How to REHEAT Frozen Bread Sticks
- Thaw breadsticks overnight in the refrigerator OR place them in a greased microwave-safe dish and microwave 1-2 minutes, or until thawed.
- To warm, place breadsticks on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes or until warmed through.