Roasted Green Beans (with Gruyere Sauce) + Variations!
Wonderfully crisp tender Roasted Green Beans with Creamy Gruyere Sauce and Bacon are a fresh and easy, flavor exploding side dish perfect for dinner, entertaining and Thanksgiving! These Roasted Green Beans will make you fall in love with oven roasted green beans all over again AND they are ready in 15 minutes! They are extremely versatile and can be made with only a handful of ingredients or you can dress them up with my delectable Gruyere sauce with bacon. You can make basic Oven Roasted Green Beans, Roasted Green Beans with Balsamic, Roasted Green Beans with Lemon, Roasted Green Beans with Bacon, Roasted Green Beans with Parmesan, Garlic Roasted Green Beans or Cheesy Roasted Green Beans (I've included how to make ALL variations!). With all these variations, Oven Roasted Green Beans go with practically everything AND they are full of fiber, antioxidant, vitamins and minerals! YAY for healthy sides!
Servings 6 servings
Roasted Green Beans
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Creamy Gruyere Sauce
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp EACH paprika, dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp EACH salt, pepper
- 1/4 cup finely grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- chopped parsley
Roasted Green Beans
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a large jelly roll pan with foil or line 2 smaller baking trays. Add green beans to pan then drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss until evenly coated then line green beans in a single layer.
Roast at 450 degrees F for 12-15 minutes (or until they reach desired tender crispness), stirring once halfway through.
Creamy Gruyere Sauce
Meanwhile, make Creamy Gruyere Sauce by melting butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and sauté for 1 1/2 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds. Stir in cream, mustard and all seasonings.
Increase heat to medium high and cook until sauce starts to thicken, about 2 minutes. Off heat, stir in Gruyere cheese until melted followed by lemon juice. If sauce gets, too thick, stir in a little more heavy cream.
Add green beans to a large bowl and pour Gruyere Sauce on top. Add half of the bacon and toss until evenly coated. Top with remaining bacon. Garnish with parsley if desired.
HERB ROASTED GREEN BEANS
I like to add 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning to my basic oven Roasted Green Beans almost every time I make them, unless I am making them Asian style. Herbs pair particularly well when adding Parmesan and/or lemon juice. You can also add pinches of dried thyme, dried oregano and dried basil if you don't keep Italian seasoning on hand.
GARLIC ROASTED GREEN BEANS
You can add 2 cloves fresh minced garlic or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder to the green beans before roasting. I love fresh garlic, but I actually prefer garlic powder for Roasted Green Beans. I find it more evenly coats and clings to the beans so you get yummy garlic goodness in every bite.
ROASTED GREEN BEANS WITH BALSAMIC
Roasted Green Beans with Balsamic is one of my favorite combos like in my Balsamic Green Beans recipe. Toss green beans AFTER they are roasted with 1 tablespoon balsamic and 1 teaspoon either honey or pure maple syrup. I like to mix the balsamic and honey together before drizzling over the beans.
ROASTED GREEN BEANS WITH BACON
You can toss Roasted Green Beans with as little or as much bacon as you like after they are cooked. I use 6 strips of bacon for 1 1/2 pounds green beans. I highly recommend thick-cut center bacon for its' meaty texture so it stays nice and crisp when combined with the beans.
ROASTED GREEN BEANS WITH PARMESAN
Roasted Green Beans with Parmesan is divine with its salty nuttiness, comparable to my Parmesan Asparagus.
To make, evenly divide 1/4-1/2 cup FRESHLY grated Parmesan over uncooked green beans and roast. The amount of Parmesan will depend on how prominent you would like the Parmesan flavor.
Please only use freshly grated Parmesan cheese for its superior flavor and melting abilities.
ROASTED GREEN BEANS WITH LEMON
Roasted Green Beans with lemon are bright and beautiful! I like to pair lemon with garlic, Parmesans or Italian herbs as well. To make, simply stir in 1 tablespoons lemon juice and lemon zest to taste after roasting. The lemon juice can get lost if added before cooking.
ROASTED POTATOES AND GREEN BEANS
I love Roasted Green Beans and Potatoes together. You can roast them starting at the same time, but potatoes take a little longer to cook, so I like to give them a head start in the oven.
- To make, toss 1 pound chopped red or Yukon gold potatoes with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8-1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Spread in an even layer on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 lbs green beans and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8-1/4 teaspoon pepper and continue to roast an additional 12-15 minutes.
OTHER INGREDIENT IDEAS:
You can add virtually anything to Roasted Green Beans to create the flavor profile YOU want! Here are a few more ideas:
- nuts: pecans, pistachios, cashews, sliced almonds, peanuts
- seeds: sesame seeds, pepitas, sunflower seeds
- dried cranberries
- Italian Dressing
- Dijon or stone ground mustard
- Sesame oil
- Asian Sweet chili sauce
- Soy sauce
- Blue cheese or Gorgonzola cheese
- Lemon pepper
- Ground Cumin
- Chili Powder
- Cajun seasoning
- Chinese 5 spice
- Red chili flakes
- Cayenne pepper
PREP AHEAD GREEN BEANS
Roasted Green Beans are best served hot and fresh out of the oven, so I suggest preparing them but not baking them in advance.
- You can prepare your green beans by tossing with olive oil and seasonings, spreading out on the baking sheet, covering tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerating.
- You can prepare the Gruyere Sauce and refrigerate for up to 2 days in an airtight container.
- When ready to serve, simply roast the beans, and reheat the Gruyere sauce on the stove with some added cream or broth, as it will have thickened in the refrigerator.
ROASTED GREEN BEAN STORAGE & REHEATING
- Roasted Green beans should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
- You can reheat green beans in the microwave at 30-second intervals but be aware that you will end up with softer beans.
- For best results AKA crisp tender beans, spread beans in an even layer on a baking sheet.
- Keep the cheese sauce separately and warm on the stove.
- Bake beans at 400 degrees for approximately 4 minutes until warmed through.