This fluffy, moist Strawberry Coffee Cake will be the best breakfast cake you make this spring OR serve it as dessert! It boasts a buttery coffee cake layer, topped with silky cream cheese, homemade fresh strawberry filling and finished with sugary crumb topping - in every bite. This easy coffee cake recipe is destined to become a favorite most requested special occasion breakfast!
This is a coffeecake meant to be eaten for breakfast or brunch so it is not overly sweet - but just right.
Tips for Strawberry Coffee Cake
- Use Correct Pan: You need an 8” inch round, at least 3" deep spring form pan for this recipe. If you use a traditional cake pan, it will overflow.
- Grease Pan: I always line my cake pans with parchment paper then spray with nonstick cooking spray WITH FLOUR. I have NEVER had a problem with any of my cakes or breads sticking with this method.
- Use Room Temperature Ingredients: Make sure your cream cheese, eggs, and sour cream are at room temperature before mixing. Room temperature cream cheese will ensure your cream cheese filling isn't lumpy. Room temperature eggs and sour cream will help you not to overmix your cake which results in a softer, more tender cake as opposed to dense and dry.
- Don’t Overmix: Stir you wet ingredients and dry ingredients together with a spoon and not a whisk, folding gently just until the batter is evenly combined. You never want to overmix wet and dry ingredients because this will overdevelop the gluten resulting in a tough, dry coffee cake.
- Don't peak: Don't open the oven doors until you are ready to check your Strawberry Coffee Cake for doneness. Opening the doors too early can cause the cake to fall in the middle or cook unevenly.
- Don't slice while warm: Don’t be tempted to slice your cake while it is still warm or it can fall apart.
This Strawberry Coffee Cake contains cream cheese so it needs to be refrigerated. To store, wrap coffee cake tightly in plastic wrap, place on a plate and refrigerate for up to 5 days, although it is best (more moist) if consumed within 2.
HOW TO FREEZE
- Let Coffee Cake cool completely.
- Wrap cake tightly in plastic wrap then repeat with a second layer of plastic wrap. Next wrap tightly in 1-2 layers of foil until completely sealed.
- If you are freezing individual slices, then place these plastic/foil wrapped slices in a freezer bag. If you are freezing your entire Coffee Cake for an extended period of time, then secure the aluminum foil with freezer tape to prevent freezer burn.
- You can store your Strawberry Coffee Cake for up to 3 months.
- When ready to eat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator.