EASY Mexican Chicken
Mexican Chicken on your table in 10 minutes! This Mexican Chicken is going to blow your mind – and change your life. It’s quick, easy, healthy, exploding with flavor and did I say done in LESS than 10 minutes already? It’s the ideal weeknight meal and incredibly versatile. You can make Mexican Chicken tacos, burritos, burrito bowls, enchiladas, salads, etc. all with this easy Mexican Chicken! It also freezes and reheats beautifully for prep ahead dinners you will CRAVE!
Servings 6 servings
Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
Add chicken along with seasonings and stir to evenly coat. Stir in chicken broth, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and green chilies. Cook for 5 minutes or until heated through. Add additional water/chicken broth if chicken seems dry. Season with salt and pepper to taste and cayenne pepper or hot sauce to taste if desired.
Use chicken in tacos, burritos, enchiladas, salads, nachos, burrito bowls, etc.
HOW TO CUSTOMIZE MEXICAN CHICKEN:
- Add Beans. Add your favorite beans – some refried beans, black, pinto, etc. are all fabulous. You may need to add additional salt to taste.
- Add Veggies. You can add any veggies your heart desires from corn, bell peppers, zucchini, sweet potatoes, spinach etc. You may want to add additional water and tomato paste to coat the veggies as well.
- Add More Green Chiles: This Mexican Chicken recipe calls for 2 tablespoons mild diced green chiles but you are welcome to add more – even the whole 4 oz. can if you want tangier chicken.
- Add Salsa: You can add salsa or salsa verde to your Mexican Chicken for even more flavorful chicken. Just be aware salsa will make your chicken “wetter” which will work better in some applications than others.
- Add heat: If you want to spice up your Mexican Chicken other than just adding cayenne pepper or hot sauce, try chopped jalapenos! For milder heat, you can add poblano peppers and for FIRE heat, you can add habaneros.
- Add Enchilada Sauce. Add some enchilada sauce at the very end and heat through for saucy Mexican Chicken.
- Add cheese. Stir in shredded Mexican cheese blend, cheddar or pepper Jack cheese for CHEESY Mexican Chicken.
- Add rice or quinoa. Stir in cooked rice or cooked quinoa for added texture. If you do this, you may also want to add additional salt and salsa as well.
- Toppings! Serve with all your favorite toppings from avocados/guacamole to chopped tomatoes, salsa, salsa verde, pico de gallo, chopped lettuce cilantro, hot sauce, etc.
WHAT TO MAKE WITH MEXICAN CHICKEN:
The uses for this Mexican Chicken are endless! Here are just a few ideas – but remember, it can be as simple as piling on a tortilla with sour cream!
- Mexican Chicken Tacos: Layer tortillas with cheese and melt in the microwave or oven. Top with black or pinto beans, Mexican Chicken, lettuce and desired toppings such as chopped lettuce, pico de gallo, fresh guacamole, salsa, cotija cheese, sour cream and hot sauce.
- Baked Mexican Chicken Tacos: Line a 9×13 baking dish with hard taco shells and fill each shell with 2 tablespoons refried beans (optional), followed by Mexican Chicken and cheese (like this recipe). Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes or until cheese is completely melted. Top chicken tacos with lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, etc.
- Mexican Chicken Salad: Add Mexican Chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, fresh corn, black beans, cheese (pepper Jack, Mexican Cheese blend or cotija), pepitas or sunflower seeds to large bowl. Serve with Tomatillo Avocado Ranch or Cilantro Lime Dressing.
- Mexican Chicken Burrito Bowls: Layer cilantro lime rice with cheese, black beans or pinto beans, Mexican Chicken, chopped lettuce, and your favorite toppings including crushed tortilla chips and either sour cream/Greek yogurt or I highly recommend either Tomatillo Avocado Ranch or Cilantro Lime Dressing.
- Mexican Chicken Burritos: Layer a burrito size tortilla with cilantro lime rice or Mexican Rice, black or pinto beans, cheese, Mexican Chicken, guacamole, sour cream and lettuce. Serve with additional sour cream and either pico de gallo or homemade salsa.
- Smothered Mexican Chicken Burritos: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and add a baking rack on top. Prepare burritos by adding a heaping 1/2 cup Mexican Chicken to each burrito size tortilla, top with desired amount of cheese and roll up burrito style. Place burritos on the baking rack and brush both sides lightly with olive oil or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Cook for 18-20 minutes or until golden. Broil to desired crispiness, flip over and broil the other side until golden. Remove baking rack and top burritos with your favorite enchilada sauce and cheese and bake until cheese is melted as described in my Wet Burritos or my wildly popular Cheesy Green Chili Sour Cream Sauce like in my Crockpot Smothered Burritos.
- Mexican Chicken Enchiladas: Fill tortillas with layers of cheese and Mexican Chicken and a generous amount of sour cream. Roll up and place in a lightly greased 9×13 baking dish. Top with red or green enchilada sauce and cheese and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Mexican Chicken Quesadillas: Layer a burrito size tortilla with Mexican cheese and Mexican Chicken and grill until golden, cheesy perfection. Serve with your favs of sour cream, salsa, chopped lettuce, guacamole, etc.
- Mexican Chicken Nachos: Pile thick restaurant style tortilla chips with cheese and beans and bake. Top with Mexican Chicken and toppings such as jalapenos, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, etc.
- Mexican Chicken Fajitas: The last few minutes of cooking, add sliced bell peppers and sauté until crisp tender, about 2 minutes. You may want to add additional seasonings for the added peppers. Pile in a tortilla and top with sour cream, guacamole, lime juice and cilantro.
HOW TO FREEZE:
- Prepare Mexican Chicken according to directions.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Add chicken to a freezer size plastic bag OR portion into smaller size sandwich bags.
- Press bag flat, squeeze out excess air to prevent freezer burn.
- Seal, label and freeze for up to 3 months.
HOW TO REHEAT:
- When ready to use, defrost chicken in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove chicken and reheat in a skillet or in a microwave-safe container in the microwave.
- If your chicken seems dry, stir in some salsa.