Greek Chicken Salad with Pita Croutons and Tzatziki Dressing
This Greek Chicken Salad recipe is like a deconstructed gyro you will crave for days! It’s loaded with juicy Greek chicken, Romaine lettuce, crisp cucumbers, juicy tomatoes, crunchy bell peppers, zippy red onions, tangy Kalmata olives, salty creamy feta, PITA CROUTONS and creamy, healthy TZATZIKI DRESSING! It's easy to make, exploding with texture and you can prep all the ingredients ahead of time for a meal you can throw together in minutes!
Servings 6 servings
- 1/2 seedless/English cucumber peeled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, peeled or 1/4 teaspoon garliic powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (may sub white)
- 1/2 tsp EACH dried dill, dried parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, ground cumin
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 English cucumber peeled, halved, sliced
- 8 oz. cherry or tomatoes halved
- 1 bell pepper (any color) chopped
- 1/2 red onion very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives sliced if desired
- sliced almonds optional
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Easy Pita Croutons
- 4 plain pita breads cut into 1/2" squares (roughly 4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 tsp EACH salt, garlic pwder, paprika
Blender Tzatziki Dressing
Add chopped cucumbers to a fine mesh sieve and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt. Stir and let sit 15-20 minutes (this prevents the dressing from becoming watery). After 15/20 minutes, use the back of a spoon to push cucumber down against sieve to release excess water.
Add cucumber along with all remaining Tzatziki Dressing ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste if needed. Refrigerate until ready to serve - best if chilled at least 1 hour, the longer the better.
Add romaine, cucumber, bell peppers, tomatoes olives, and onions to a large salad bowl and give it a good toss. Now you can either toss in the chicken, dressing, croutons and feta, OR if expecting leftovers, serve them on the side and let everyone dress their own salads. Enjoy!
Don't miss the "how to make" recipe video at the top of the post!
Prep Ahead Greek Chicken Salad
I love this Greek Chicken Salad because although there a few steps, you can prep almost everything in advance:
- Vegetables: can be chopped 24 hour in advance and store in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator.
- Dressing: can be made one week in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Chicken: can be cooked 1-2 days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Croutons: can be made 5 days in advance and stored in an airtight container.