- 1pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 3tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4-6cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3cup flour
- 9-11cups low sodium chicken broth, divided
- 3tablespoons cornstarch
- 15oz can canneli beans, rinsed and rained
- 1tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 1tsp EACH dried parsley, dried basil
- 1/2tsp EACH dried oregano, dried thyme, salt, pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- dash- 1/4teaspoon red pepper flakes(optional)
- 10 uncooked lasagna noodlesbroken into approx. 1-2 inch pieces*
- 2-3cups half and half(may sub fat free evaporated milk)
- 1/2cup heavy cream(optional)
- 10oz chopped frozen baby spinach, thawed
- 1cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ricotta cheese
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large Dutch oven/soup pot over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until almost cooked through. Remove to a plate.
Melt butter with 2 tablespoons olive oil in the now empty pot and heat over medium high heat. Add onions and carrots and cook, while stirring, for 3 minutes. Add bell pepper and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle in flour then cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes (it will be thick).
Turn heat to low and gradually stir in 8 cups chicken broth. Whisk 3 tablespoons cornstarch with 1 cup additional chicken broth and add to soup. Stir in chicken, beans, chicken bouillon and all remaining herbs and spices. Stir in lasagna noodles.
Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer until lasagna noodles are tender, stirring occasionally so noodles don’t stick to bottom (approximately 20-30 minutes).
Turn heat to low, discard bay leaf and stir in half and half, optional heavy cream and spinach and warm through. Stir in 1 cup Parmesan cheese until melted. Stir in additional half and half or broth if desired for a less “chunky” soup. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Garnish individual servings with desired amount of cheeses.