For the Zucchini
- 3-4 medium zucchiniends trimmed, cut in half lengthwise
- olive oil
- Freshly cracked salt and pepper
For the Shrimp
- 1pound medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1tsp EACH chili powder, ground cumin
- 1/2tsp EACH paprika, dried oregano, garlic powder
- salt and pepper
For the Veggies
- 1Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4cup chopped red onion
- 1/2cup chopped zucchini from removed fleshin instructions
- corn from one ear sweet corn
- 1-2 jalapenosseeded, deveined, minced
- 1 Roma tomatoseeded, chopped
- 1/2cup chopped orange bell pepper
- 2-3 garlic clovesminced
- 2Tablespoons lime juice or to tasteor to taste
- 3Tablespoons minced cilantro
- Cotija cheeseoptional for garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Trim the ends of the zucchini and slice in half horizontally. Score zucchini 1/4 inches from the edges with a knife then scoop out flesh using a teaspoon or melon baller, leaving 1/4” shell all the way around to create a “boat.” Reserve 1/2 cup chopped flesh to use later and save the rest for another use.
Place zucchini boats in baking dish and coat well with the olive oil. Sprinkle with freshly cracked salt and pepper. Cover with foil and bake zucchini for 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, add all of the Shrimp Ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine. Let sit while you chop your veggies.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp in a single layer and cook 2-3 minutes per side, just until opaque and cooked through. Remove to a plate and chop off tails once cool enough to handle.
To the now empty pan (don’t clean), heat one tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions, corn, zucchini and jalapenos and cook for 2 minutes. Add bell peppers, tomatoes, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook an additional 2 minutes or until veggies reach desired crisp tenderness. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds.
Add shrimp back to pan along with lime juice and cilantro. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Divide shrimp mixture between zucchini boats and garnish with Cotija cheese and additional cilantro if desired. Serve immediately.