- 16oz. spaghettior pasta of choice
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 112 oz. pkg. FULLY COOKED Italian spiced chicken sausagesliced
- 1pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 4-6cloves garlicminced
- 1/4-1/2teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1cup heavy cream
- 1tsp EACH dried oregano, dried parsley
- 1/2tsp EACH dried thyme, salt
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 1/2cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 12oz. baby spinach
- 2 ears grilled fresh sweet cornkernels cut off the cob (see notes)
- 1/4cup basilchopped
Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water before draining pasta. Toss drained pasta with a drizzle of olive oil to keep it from sticking. Set aside.
Melt butter in olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet/saucepan. Add chicken sausage and tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes. Add shallots, garlic, red pepper flakes and cook an additional 2-3 minutes, just until the shallots are softened. Turn heat to low and sprinkle in flour and cook until raw flour smell is gone, 1-2 minutes (it will be thick).
Stir in chicken broth and heavy cream followed by all seasonings.
Bring the sauce to a simmer. Simmer until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, 5-10 minutes.
Reduce heat to Low and stir in Parmesan cheese until melted. Stir in spinach, corn and basil and cook 1-2 minutes, just until spinach is wilted.
Add pasta and toss until well coated in sauce, adding a little reserved pasta water if needed to reach desired consistency. Taste and season with additional salt, pepper and/or red pepper flakes to taste.
Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and fresh basil if desired.