- 1(3-5 lb) beef chuck roasttrimmed of excess fat, cut into 8-10 pieces
- 1tablespoon olive oil
Slow Cooker Ingredients
- 1/2cup mild red enchilada sauce(use 10 oz. can if making my enchiladas recipe)
- 24 oz. cans MILD chopped green chiles
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce (more or less to taste)minced (approx. 2 tablespoons)**
- 2tablespoons lime juice
- 2tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2tablespoons brown sugar
- 1tablespoon Worchestershire
- 1-3teaspoons liquid smoke(depending on how “smoky” you like it)
- 1 TBS EACH ground cumin, dried oregano
- 2teaspoons salt
- 1tsp EACH garlic powder, onion powder
- 1/2tsp EACH chili powder, smoked paprika
- 1/4tsp EACH ground cloves, ground cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once very hot, add cubed beef and sear on all sides. Transfer beef to a 6 qt (or larger) slow cooker along with all remaining ingredients. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 1/2 – 4 1/2 hours or on LOW for 6-8 hours, OR until the beef shreds easily with a fork.
Remove beef to a cutting board (do NOT discard juices in slow cooker), shred, and add back to slow cooker and toss with slow cooker juices. Cook on low for 20 minutes for beef to absorb juices. Add additional hot sauce, lime juice or brown sugar to taste.
Remove beef with a pair of tongs to serving bowl or strain in colander so tacos, etc. don’t get soggy. If you would like “saucier” beef, add additional enchilada sauce.