- 1 1/2 lbs. ribeye(may sub top sirloin or skirt steak), very thinly sliced*
- olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 poblano pepper, thinly sliced
- 3/4cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese(or more to taste)
- 1/3cup roughly chopped jarred cherry (pimento) peppers(optional)
- 8 Sargento Provolone Cheese slices
- 4 soft hoagie rolls
- 2tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/2tsp EACH garlic pwdr, onion pwdr, dried thyme, dried parsley
- 1/4tsp EACH pepper, red pepper flakes
- 1tablespoon Reserved Spiced Mayonnaise (in directions)
- 1/2cup mayonnaise
- Hot sauce to taste (optional)
Whisk all the Marinade ingredients together in a Ziploc bag. Remove 1 tablespoon Marinade and add to a small bowl with 1/2 cup mayonnaise to make “Spiced Mayonnaise”. Add hot sauce to mayonnaise if desired and store in the refrigerator.
Add steak to Ziploc bag with remaining Marinade. Marinate 6 hours up to overnight. Remove steak from fridge 20-30 minutes before cooking.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Prepare hoagie rolls by slicing each in half horizontally. Hollow out bottom and top halves of bread, leaving about 1/2-inch-thick shell.
Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over in a large skillet over medium high heat until smoking. Pat excess marinade off steak and add to skillet. Cook undisturbed for 1 minute then continue to cook while stirring just until no longer pink, 1-2 minutes, chopping up meat with spatula as you cook. Remove to a paper towel lined plate. (You can also chop on a cutting board.)
Wipe out skillet and heat one tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Add peppers and onion and cook 6-8 minutes or until softened. Add steak back to pan along with 3/4 cup cheddar, 1 tablespoon Spiced Mayonnaise, pimientos (optional). Stir just until steak is warmed through and cheese begins to melt, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Spread each top and bottom half of hoagie roll with Spiced mayonnaise. Evenly divide beef mixture between bottom buns then top each with 2 slices provolone cheese. Bake hoagies open faced for 5 minutes or until cheese is completely melted. Replace top buns and eat immediately.