- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2cup chopped red onion
- 1-2 jalapenos, chopped, seededand deveined (optional)
- 3cloves garlic, minced
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2cups long grained rice, rinsed and drained(may sub brown rice for Rice Cooker Version)
- 3cups low sodium chicken broth(may sub vegetable broth)
- 114.5 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained(optional)
- 3tablespoons mild diced green chilies(from 4 oz. can green chilies)
- Freshly cracked salt and pepperto taste
- 1-2tablespoons butter(optional)
- 1/2cup loosely packed cilantro, chopped
- 2tablespoon lime juice
Stove Top Directions
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add red onions and jalapenos saute 3-5 minutes or until tender.
Add garlic and cumin and saute 30 more seconds (adding more oil beforehand if necessary). Add rice and saute for a few seconds. Add beans, green chilies and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low (dial should be a little above lowest setting) and simmer, covered, for approximately 20 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring at 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in butter to melt (optional) and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in lime juice and cilantro.
Rice Cooker Directions
Add rice (long grain white or brown), chicken broth (amount according to your rice cooker), 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1 seeded, minced jalapeno, black beans (optional), 3 tablespoons mild diced green chiles)
Set rice cooker to white or brown rice cook setting according to which rice you are using. Once rice is cooked, stir in butter to melt and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in 2 tablespoons lime juice and 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro, chopped.