- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1tablespoon butter
- 2 chicken breasts, thinly sliced (1 pound)
- 1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small orange bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2tablespoons flour
- 2teaspoons chicken bouillon powder
- 1tsp EACH salt, chili pwdr, ground cumin
- 1/2tsp EACH smoked paprika, pepper, dried oregano
- 3/4cup long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 115 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 14 oz. can mild diced green chilies
- 114 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 4 14.5 oz. cans low sodium chicken broth
- 2tablespoons cornstarch
- 1cup freshly grated Pepper Jack cheeseor more to taste
- Tortilla chips/strips
- fresh cilantro
- sour cream
- Hot sauce to taste
Melt butter in olive oil over medium high heat in a large Dutch oven/soup pot. Add chicken and onions and sauté for 3 minutes.
Add bell peppers, garlic, flour and all seasonings/spices. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
Stir in rice, black beans, green chilies, crushed tomatoes and 3 cans chicken broth. Mix cornstarch with last can chicken broth and add to soup. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer on medium low, stirring occasionally, for 8-12 minutes or until rice is cooked.*Note: Cooking time may vary depending on how long it takes to bring your soup to a boil so I suggest checking the rice occasionally until done.
Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Add additional chicken broth/water to thin soup if desired. Garnish individual servings with desired toppings.