- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 3tablespoons unsalted butter
- 16oz white button mushroomssliced
- 1 shallotminced (1/3-1/2 cup)
- 4 garlic clovesminced
- 1tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2cups uncooked orzo pasta
- 4cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2tsp EACH dried parsley, dried thyme
- 1/4tsp EACH salt, pepper
- 3oz. Cream Cheesesoftened
- 1/2-3/4cup freshly grated Asiago cheese(see note)**
- 1cup frozen petite peasthawed
- 1/4cup milkplus more as needed
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- Freshly cracked salt and pepper
Add pine nuts to Dutch oven/stockpot and toast over medium heat until browned in spots. Remove to a plate.
Melt butter with olive oil in the same Dutch oven/stockpot over medium heat. Increase temperature to medium-high and add mushrooms. Spread mushrooms into an even layer and let cook for cook for 3 minutes without moving. Add shallots and cook and stir an additional 3-5 minutes, until all the liquid is evaporated and mushrooms are browned. Add soy sauce and garlic and cook 30 seconds.
Stir in all remaining Orzo ingredients up through salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered for 5-8 minutes, stirring often so the orzo doesn’t stick and burn. Test your orzo at 5 minutes and continue to cook until al dente.
Once orzo is cooked, reduce heat to low and stir in cream cheese until melted followed by Asiago cheese until melted. Stir in peas and warm through.
Add additional milk until it reaches desired creamy consistency. Season with freshly cracked salt and pepper to taste (I like additional salt). Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.