- 1pound penne pasta, uncooked
- 6-8slices provolone cheese
- 1 1/2cups sour cream
- 3cups shredded mozzarella cheesemore or less to taste
- 1cup freshly grated Parmesan cheesemore or less to taste
- 1pound lean ground beef
- 1pound bulk Italian Sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6-8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4cup water
- 2tablespoons sugar
- 2teaspoons beef bouillon
- 1TBS EACH dried basil, dried parsley
- 1 1/2teaspoons salt
- 1teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2tsp EACH dried thyme, pepper
- 1/4-1/2teaspoon red pepper flakes
Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions just until al dente – don’t overcook! Strain and rinse with cold water.
In a Dutch oven, brown ground beef, sausage and onion over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 30 more seconds. Drain grease. Add all remaining Sauce ingredients and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile preheat oven to 350 degrees F. When oven reaches full temperate, mix cooked pasta with Sauce. (We wait to mix so the pasta doesn’t continue to cook in the sauce.)
In a 9×13 pan, layer evenly: 1/2 the pasta, 1/2 mozzarella, all provolone, all sour cream, remaining pasta, remaining mozzarella and top with Parmesan.
Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted. Broil until cheese is golden. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.