- 8oz. spaghetti noodlesbroken into 2-3″ lengths
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1tablespoon butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4-1/2teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 14 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 124 oz. jar prepared marinara
- 7cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2tablespoons tomato paste
- 2teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1tablespoon dried basil
- 1tsp EACH dried parsley, dried oregano, salt
- 1/2teaspoon pepper
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 2teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1cup milkor half and half
- 1 egg
- 2slices white sandwich breadTOASTED, crust removed, diced
- 2tablespoons milk
- 2teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3cup finely freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1pound lean ground beef
- 3tablespoons dry minced onion
- 1teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2tsp EACH garlic pwdr, oregano, salt
Spaghetti Soup: Melt 1 tablespoon butter in 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large Dutch oven/stock pot. Add diced onions and saute for 3 minutes. Add carrots, celery and bell peppers and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté for 30 seconds.
Stir in all remaining ingredients under “Spaghetti Soup,” EXCEPT for the Parmesan and milk/half and half. Bring to boil, cover, then reduce to a low simmer for 15 minutes while you prepare the meatballs.
Meatballs: In a large bowl, add egg and gently whisk. Add all remaining Meatball Ingredients and mix until well combined. Roll mixture into 1 tablespoon size meatballs. Add meatballs to simmering soup and simmer for 8 minutes. Add spaghetti noodles and simmer over medium high heat for 10-12 minutes or until noodles are al dente.
Remove from heat, discard bay leaf and stir in Parmesan cheese until melted followed by milk/half and half. If you would like a less “chunky” soup, simply stir in additional chicken broth or water.
Garnish individual servings with freshly grated Parmesan and season with additional salt/pepper/red pepper to taste.