- 1/2cup water
- 4oz. German’s sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2cups + 3 tablespoons AP flour
- 1 1/2teaspoons baking soda
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2cups sugar
- 1cup unsalted butter, softened,(2 sticks)
- 4 large eggsat room temperature
- 2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1cup buttermilk
- 1cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 egg yolks
- 112 oz. can evaporated milk
- 1 1/4cups brown sugar, packed
- 3/4cup unsalted butter, softened,(1 1/2 sticks)
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 1/2cups coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2teaspoon sea salt
Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 36 cupcake liners in a cupcake/muffin pan. Set aside.
Bring 1/2 cup water to a simmer in small saucepan. Reduce heat to low and add chopped chocolate; whisk until smooth. Cool.
Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder into a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, approximately 4 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing until completely incorporated before adding each additional egg. Beat in melted chocolate and vanilla. Turn the mixer to low and slowly add the dry ingredients, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in chocolate chips.
Pour batter into prepared cupcake liners. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in the pan on a wire rack.
Frosting: Whisk the egg yolks, evaporated milk and brown sugar together in a large saucepan. Add butter and cook over medium high heat until the sugar dissolves and the butter melts, stirring constantly. Continue cooking, stirring constantly until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, approximately 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, salt, coconut and pecans.
Allow to cool before frosting (you can place in the refrigerator to spread up this process.) Scoop the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes with a heaping 1/2 ounce ice cream scoop.