CHICKEN AND MARINADE
- 2lbs boneless skinless chicken thighscut in half
- 1/2cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4cup olive oil
- 2tablespoons tomato paste
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- 1tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2tsp EACH ground cumin, smoked paprika, ground coriander
- 1 1/2tsps EACH garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, salt, dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp EACH ground cinnamon, cayenne pepper, pepper
GARLIC YOGURT SAUCE
- 1cup Greek yogurt
- 2cloves garlicminced
- 2tablespoon lemon juice
- 2tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1tablespoon finely chopped mint
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4tsp EACH ground cumin, ground coriander, pepper
WRAPS and PLATES (pick your favs)
- Lebanese bread/flatbread/pita breadwarmed
- 1recipe hummus(or store-bought)
- finely sliced Romaine or iceberg lettuce
- cherry tomatoes, halvedor Roma tomatoes, sliced and quartered
- English cucumber sliced and quartered
- red onionthinly sliced quartered
- Spiralized carrots
- chili sauceI use sriracha
- rice – for plates(see notes)
Whisk all of the marinade ingredients together in a large bowl. Add chicken halves and stir to thoroughly coat. Cover and refrigerate 8-24 hours.
GARLIC YOGURT SAUCE
Whisk the Garlic Yogurt Sauce ingredient together in a medium bowl. Chill until ready to serve. The sauce can be made at the time you start marinating the chicken or aim for at least an hour before cooking the chicken.
Using 2 skewers for each kebab, thread one side of the thigh onto each skewer and then the other side; slide the skewered chicken down to the end (see photos in post or video). Repeat with half the chicken, pushing the chicken against each other. Repeat to make a second kabob with the remaining chicken.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Clean grates and generously grease with oil.
Once hot, add kebabs, and grill for 4-5 minutes without moving. Flip kebabs over and grill the other side an addition 4-5 minutes.
Next, flip chicken over, COVER and reduce heat so it maintains 400 degrees F with the lid closed. Continue to cook, approximately 5-10 additional minutes per side turning once, until chicken reaches 165 degrees F. Remove from grill and let rest 5 minutes before carving.
Meanwhile, add flatbread to the grill to warm up.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a pan with foil that allows you to perch the metal skewers on the top rim of the pan so the chicken hangs in the middle without touching the bottom of the pan (see photos in post or video).
Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes, then flip kebabs over. Spoon the pan juices over the chicken and bake an addition 15- 20 minutes or until chicken reaches 165 degrees F. Optional: Without moving the pan, turn oven to broil and broil for 3-5 minutes per side for more yummy crispy bits. Baste again with pan juices. Let rest 5-10 minutes before carving.
Meanwhile, wrap the desired amount of flatbread in foil and place in the oven. Heat for 8-10 minutes or until warm and pliable. Remove from the oven using oven mitts.
Stand the skewers upright on a cutting board and thinly slice chicken off.
DONER KEBAB WRAPS
Spread a generous amount of hummus over warmed flatbread. Top with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, chicken, and garlic yogurt sauce. Drizzle with sriracha if you like some heat – careful, a little goes a long way.
DONER KEBAB PLATES
Serve chicken on a plate with desired accompaniments such as warmed flatbread, curried rice (see notes), shredded lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, and sides of garlic yogurt sauce, sriracha and hummus.