- 1 Cuban loaf or wide Italian or French bread(1 pound)
- 2tablespoons butterif using a cast iron skillet
- 2-4tablespoons softened butter(2 TBS for skillet, 4 TBS for panini press or grill pan)
- 3tablespoons yellow deli mustard
- 3tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/2tablespoons reserved unused mojo pork marinade(in directions)
- 8ounces Swiss Gruyere cheesethinly sliced
- 4 large dill pickles, thinly sliced crosswisemore or less as needed
- 1pound mojo Cuban roast porksliced
- 6ounces Black Forest or smoked hamthinly sliced
Slice bread in halve lengthwise then in half vertically. Heat a panini press, grill pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Working in batches if needed, toast all halves of the bread, cut side down until golden, about 2 minutes (prevents soggy bread). Remove to a flat worksurface; set aside.
Whisk the mustard, mayonnaise and 1 ½ tablespoon mojo marinade together in a small bowl. (Use the marinade from the 1 ½ cups unused, reserved marinade in the Cuban mojo pork recipe). Spread over all 4 cut sides of the bread.
Layer the bottom of one baguette with a quarter of the cheese, half the pickles, half the pork, half the ham, then top with a quarter of cheese (the cheese glues everything together). Repeat with second baguette, using the rest of the ingredients.
For a panini press: heat over medium heat. Brush the bottom and top of the grill with butter. Grill for approximately 6 minutes or until golden and the cheese is melted.
For a grill pan or skillet: Brush a grill pan with softened butter or melt 1 tablespoon butter in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add one sandwich and set another cast iron skillet on top of the sandwich to press it down (you can also top with a lighter skillet and fill with cans).
Cook for approximately 3-4 minutes or until toasted. Remove the top skillet and brush some softened butter all over the top side of the sandwich. Flip the sandwich over, top with a skillet, and toast an additional 3-4 minutes or until the bottom is toasted and the cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining sandwich. Cut each sandwiches in half or into quarters.