- 16oz. hot Italian bulk sausage
- 1/2 large onionchopped
- 1 large sweet potato (about 3/4 – 1 pound)peeled and cut into 1/2-1-inch cubes
- 3-4 garlic clovesminced
- 1/2tsp EACH EACH dried parsley, dried rosemary, salt
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1cup half and half
- 1 1/2tablespoons cornstarch
- 120 oz. bag quality refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1/3cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3heaping cups baby spinachtorn into pieces
- 4-6 bacon stripcooked and crumbled
- chopped parsley
- freshly grated Parmesan
Heat a Dutch oven or large skillet with tall sides, to medium high heat. Add sausage, onions, and sweet potatoes and cook until sausage is cooked through. Drain grease.
Add garlic, parsley, rosemary, salt and pepper and sauté for 30 seconds. Stir in 1 cup chicken broth and cover. Let cook 2-3 minutes or until potatoes are almost cooked through.
Remove lid and add tortellini and remaining chicken broth. Whisk half and half with cornstarch and stir into skillet. Simmer until tortellini is cooked, approximately 6-8 minutes, stirring often so it cooks evenly.
Stir in Parmesan until melted. Stir in spinach a handful at a time until it wilts, then stir in more. Stir in milk or half a little at time if needed to reach desired consistency.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with bacon, fresh parsley and additional Parmesan if desired.