- 1pound breakfast sausage casings removed(may sub 1-pound plain pork sausage roll)
- 2teaspoons chili powder
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2tsp EACH smoked paprika, dried oregano, garlic powder, onion powder
- Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- 8 large eggs
- 4oz. can mild green chiles
- 3tablespoons half and half, heavy cream or milk
- 1/2tsp EACH chili powder, garlic powder
- 1/4tsp EACH salt, pepper
- 1-3teaspoons hot sauceoptional
- 6 taco size flour tortillas(7-8-inch)
- 1 1/2cups freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2cups freshly shredded Monterrey cheese
- 1/4cup chopped cilantrooptional
Drizzle 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and season with sausage seasonings. Cook, while crumbling, until cooked through. Season with salt and cayenne pepper to taste; transfer to a plate. Don’t wipe out skillet.
(If you skipped the sausage, then grease a large nonstick skillet with soft butter.)
Vigorously whisk the egg ingredients together in a medium bowl. Heat skillet over medium heat. Add eggs then reduce heat to medium-low. Let the eggs set slightly then use a rubber spatula to pull the eggs across the pan to form large curds. Continue to cook and scramble, but don’t stir constantly, just until eggs are softly set (they will continue to cook in the quesadilla). Immediately remove from the skillet.
Lay tortillas out on a clean counter. Evenly top HALF of each tortilla with ingredients in this order: Monterrey Jack cheese, sausage, eggs, cilantro and cheddar cheese. Fold tortillas over to create half moons.
Wipe out the nonstick skillet and heat over medium heat (no oil please). Add 1-2 quesadillas to the hot skillet (depending on size) and press down with a spatula. Cook until the bottom is golden and crispy, about 2 minutes.
Turn the quesadilla over by placing the spatula underneath the tortilla and using the folded end as a hinge to rotate the tortilla to the other side while placing your hand on the uncooked side to hold it together (this way no filling falls out). Cook the other side until golden and the cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining quesadillas.
Cut quesadillas into wedges and serve with salsa, sour cream, guacamole and/or hot sauce to taste.