- 1pound mild Italian sausagebulk or casings removed (may substitute beef)
- 1pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 6-8 garlic clovesminced
- 1/2-1teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 115 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2tablespoons tomato paste
- 1teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4cup water
- 1tablespoon dried parsley
- 2teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 1 1/2teaspoons dried oregano
- 1tsp EACH salt, sugarplus more to taste
- 1/2tsp EACH dried thyme, pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4cup chopped basilor 1 TBS dried added with other spices
- 1/4cup heavy cream
- freshly grated Parmesan cheesefor serving
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for serving
Roughly chop onion, celery, and carrot just so they fit in your food processor. Pulse until finely chopped (about 12 pulses), or chop by hand.
In a Dutch oven, brown ground beef, sausage and onion/celery/carrots over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook 30 more seconds. Drain grease.
Add all remaining sauce ingredients EXCEPT fresh basil and heavy cream and bring to a simmer (add dried basil at this time if using). Simmer uncovered over low heat for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally until reduced and thickened to desired consistency. Stir more often towards the end of cooking so Bolognese doesn’t burn.
Stir in heavy cream and fresh basil and cook an additional 3 minutes. Taste and season with additional salt, pepper, sugar or red pepper flakes to taste (I like more salt). Serve with pasta and plenty of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.