- 8oz. thick cut baconchopped small (1/4”)
- 1/2 large red onionchopped
- 2-3 garlic clovesminced
- 216 oz. cans pinto beansdrained and rinsed
- 216 oz. cans navy beansdrained and rinsed
- 1/2cup sweet barbecue saucelike Sweet Baby Rays
- 1/2cup ketchup
- 1/4cup packed brown sugar
- 3tablespoons molasses
- 2tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2tsp EACH chili powder, smoked paprika
- 1/4tsp EACH pepper, dried thyme
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cook bacon in a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Remove to paper towel lined plate.
Drain all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease. Add onions and cook until they begin to caramelize, approximately 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
Add all of the “Sauce” ingredients to a 9×13 pan. Whisk to combine. Add beans, bacon, onions/garlic and stir until evenly combined. Spread into an even layer and cover with foil.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, stir, recover with foil and bake and additional 15-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly and the sauce is thickened to your liking. (For thinner sauce, cook closer to 15 additional minutes, thicker sauce, closer to 30 additional minutes).