- 1cup unsalted buttersoftened (2 sticks)
- 1cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1tablespoon unsulphured molasses
- 2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1teaspoon lemon juice(optional)
- 1 1/2cups all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 2teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2tsp. EACH salt, ground ginger
- 1/4tsp. EACH ground cloves, ground nutmeg
- 2 1/4cups uncooked whole-rolled oats
- 1cup finely chopped peeled Granny Smith apples(1/4” pieces)
- 3/4cup chopped walnuts(may sub ½ cup oats)
With a stand or handheld mixer, cream the butter and sugars together at medium speed until light and creamy. Add egg, vanilla, molasses and lemon juice scraping down the sides as needed. Set aside.
In a medium-sized bowl, add all of the dry ingredients except rolled oats and whisk to combine. Add oats and whisk together.
With the mixer running on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients. The dough will be quite thick and you will have to finish mixing with a wooden spoon. Add apples and walnuts and mix until combined. Cover tightly and chill dough for at least 4 hours.
Preheat oven to 350°F degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or nonstick baking mat. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls, 3 inches apart, onto prepared cookie sheet, 8 to a sheet (keep remaining cookie dough in the refrigerator).
Bake at 350°F for 11-15 minutes or until golden around the edges and center is just set. Let stand for 3 minutes before removing to wire racks. Store cooled cookies in an airtight container.