- 1cup long-grain white rice, uncookeddivided
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onionchopped
- 1 jalapeno pepperminced
- 2 medium carrotssliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 stalks celerysliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 small Yukon gold potatoeschopped into 1-inch chunks
- 4 garlic clovesminced
- 2teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2teaspoons ground cumin
- 1tsp EACH dried oregano, ground coriander
- 1/2tsp EACH smoked paprika, salt, pepper
- 2 15 oz. cans fire roasted tomatoes with juices
- 1 4 oz. can mild diced green chiles
- 8cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 chayote, peeled, coredchopped into 1/2” cubes (may sub 1/2 zucchini)
- 8oz. lean ground beef
- 8oz. ground porkmay sub lean ground beef
- rice from abovein directions
- 1/2 small yellow onionminced
- 1 large egg
- 3 garlic clovesminced
- 3tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2tablespoons minced fresh mint
- 2tablespoons minced fresh parsleyor 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 1/2teaspoons minced fresh oreganoOR ½ teaspoon dried
- 1/2tsp EACH chili powder, ground cumin, salt, pepper
TOPPINGS (pick your favs!)
- sour cream
- lime juice
- hot sauce
Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add rice and ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally for 6 minutes. Take this time to chop your veggies for the soup. Drain rice and rinse thoroughly in cold water (we are parboiling the rice; it will not be completely tender). Set aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and jalapenos and cook 3 minutes. Add carrots, celery, potatoes and all seasonings. Cook for an additional 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, green chiles and broth.
Cover pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a low simmer and cook, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes while you make the meatballs.
Meatballs: Add egg to a large bowl and whisk. Add 1 cup parboiled rice and all remaining meatball ingredients and mix well. Shape 1 tablespoon-size meatballs and place on a parchment lined baking sheet; about 40-45 meatballs.
Add meatballs, remaining parboiled rice, and chopped chayote to the soup. Add 1-2 cups water if desired for a less chunky soup. Bring to a boil then reduce to a gentle simmer for an additional 12-15 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through and rice is tender – don’t stir meatballs for at least 5 minutes or they’ll break apart.
Ladle into bowls and top with desired toppings.