Healthy Hollandaise Sauce made with Greek yogurt is guilt free delicious!
This Healthy Hollandaise Sauce is a lighter, GUILT-FREE “faux” Hollandaise Sauce that tastes just as good as the real thing WITHOUT ANY butter! It’s luxuriously creamy thanks to the Greek yogurt and delightfully flavorful due to to hand picked seasonings, that you won’t even miss the butter! This Healthy Hollandaise Sauce is amazing on everything – from eggs Benedict and asparagus to salmon and shrimp. I can’t wait for you to try this guilt-free “indulgence!”
WHAT IS HOLLANDAISE SAUCE?
If you’ve devoured Eggs Benedict, its more than likely you’ve enjoyed, rich, creamy, buttery, smooth Hollandaise Sauce. Classic Hollandaise Sauce is an emulsified sauce made by whisking lemon juice and butter with egg yolks over a double boiler.
Hollandaise Sauce is so divine, it is one of the five Mother Sauces in French cuisine (despite the Dutch name origin) – AKA you need a Hollandaise Sauce recipe in your life – and now you can enjoy it guilt free with this faux HEALTHY Hollandaise Sauce recipe!
Hollandaise Sauce Recipe
I remember the first time I made Hollandaise sauce – it was wonderfully, rich, creamy and decadent. I served it over Mozzarella Asparagus Chicken Rotallini and it tasted absolutely divine.
I should have enjoyed it. I should have enjoyed it A LOT.
But with 1/2 cup butter in only 1 cup Hollandaise sauce, I knew I wasn’t going to be making it again. The taste simply wasn’t worth all that fat!
So, when I knew I wanted to top my Savory Breakfast Crepes with Hollandaise Sauce, I was determined to make a skinny and more flavorful Hollandaise version.
To make this Healthy Hollandaise Sauce recipe, I substituted the butter with one cup Greek yogurt and added some seasonings and the results are incredible! It’s rich and creamy and has so much flavor, you won’t feel cheated it’s not the real thing!
In fact, you will never believe this isn’t the full fat version of Hollandaise Sauce! It tastes lusciously decadent with only a fraction of the fat and calories. You may even find yourself LOVING this Healthy Hollandaise Sauce more than the full fat version – I know I do!
Healthy Hollandaise Sauce Ingredients
This Healthy Hollandaise Sauce requires just a handful of pantry ingredients and seasonings. You will need:
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1-2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8-1/4 red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, more or less to taste
This Healthy Hollandaise Sauce makes up for the lack of butter with the rich Greek Yogurt and adept seasoning. The seasonings aren’t overwhelming, but rather delightfully flavorful so you don’t even miss the butter!
How to Make Healthy Hollandaise Sauce
- Beat ingredients together over a double broiler. Add yogurt, lemon juice, and egg yolks over a double broiler and beat to combine. If you don’t have a double broiler – no problem! You can place a strainer over a saucepan and place a bowl in the sieve, just like I did in these photos.
- Stir until thickened. Heat the mixture over approximately 1″ simmering water, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes, or until sauce has thickened.
- Stir in seasonings. Stir in Dijon (starting with 1 teaspoon), cumin, paprika, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and basil. Taste and add approximately 1/2 teaspoon sugar, more or less depending on how “sour” your yogurt is. Taste and add additional Dijon, salt, pepper and/or red pepper flakes if desired. That’s it for Healthy Hollandaise Sauce -SO easy and SO delicious!
HOW TO STORE Healthy HOLLANDAISE SAUCE
This Healthy Hollandaise Sauce recipe should be refrigerated within 1 1/2 hours of cooking in an airtight container then can be reheated per instructions below.
How to Reheat HOLLANDAISE SAUCE
- Microwave: Add Blender Hollandaise Sauce to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave Sauce at 50% power in 15-second increments just until warm – BUT NOT HOT, whisking in between increments.
- Stove Top: Place the Hollandaise in the top pan of a double boiler or in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water and heat just until warm, stirring often.
What can you serve with Hollandaise sauce?
This Healthy Hollandaise sauce is SO delicious you will want to put it on everything and it is delicious on everything! Here are a few ideas:
- Brussels sprouts
- poached eggs (eggs Benedict)
- English muffins
- poached salmon or chicken
- roasted or baked potatoes
- crab or lobster
WANT TO TRY THIS Healthy HOLLANDAISE SAUCE Recipe?
PIN IT TO YOUR BREAKFAST/BRUNCH, SAUCES, HOLIDAY BOARD TO SAVE FOR LATER!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES! I AM ALWAYS PINNING :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
©Carlsbad Cravings Original