Crazy tender Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches seeping with spices are unbelievably delicious and make the easiest dinner or party food!
You haven’t had a French Dip Sandwich until you try this French Dip Recipe! These French Dips have rave reviews for a reason – they are rave worthy! The meat is cooked low and slow, sliced then put back in the slow cooker so it drinks up all the juices and becomes melt-in-your-mouth tender. Pile that juicy beef on to a golden toasted bun smothered with gooey cheese then dunk in flavor bursting au jus and you quite possibly the most delectably delicious bite of. your. life.
Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich Recipe Video
What is a French Dip Sandwich?
The classic French Dip Sandwich is a hot sandwich boasting tender thin slices of beef layered on a long French roll, often with melted cheese, then dipped in a flavorful sauce made from the pan juices called “au jus,” French for “with broth” or “with juice.”
Who invented the French dip sandwich?
The French Dip Sandwich did not originate from France but it’s originator, Philippe Mathieu, was French. Phillipe owned a sandwich shop in Los Angeles, Philippe the Original that is still around today! According to the story, Philippe was making a sandwich for a policeman and accidentally dropped the sliced French roll into the drippings of a roasting pan. Instead of getting new bread, Phillipe served dipped bread and the policeman loved it so much he returned the next day with friends requesting all of their sandwiches be dipped in the meat drippings – and that’s how The French Dip Sandwich was born.
Best French Dip Sandwich
How do you make French Dip?
- It is all about the slow cooker liquid which will become your dunkable au jus. This magical beef bath of beef consommé, soy sauce and COKE (inspired by my Chipotle Sweet Pulled Pork), showered with dry minced onions, dry thyme, oregano, garlic and onion powder is savory spiced perfection. But that alone is not enough to make these obsessive worthy French Dip Sandwiches. The meat needs to be crazy tender…
2. To achieve such melt-in-your-mouth tenderness, the roast gets cooked low and slow for 4 hours, then sliced thinly while it is mostly cooked but still firm enough to hold together. The roast slices continued to cook for another 2 hours, so the seasoned broth can permeate every centimeter of the thinly sliced meat, leaving you with the most unbelievably tender, flavorful beef.
3. And then the cheeeeeese. The beef is so melt in your mouth tender, I guarantee you will be devouring this beef alone, no cheese, no sandwich, just moist, flavor bathed beef. But when you finally find the will power to pull yourself away to pile your rolls or hoagie buns with your can’t=stop-eating-meat, top with provolone cheese and bake until the cheese is ooey gooey and bubbly. Because a melty cheese toasted bun bursting with savory meat can only get better by…
4. Dipping our French Dip in best au jus sauce! The leftover slow cooker savory juices further penetrate the meat and the bun leaving it delightfully drippy and drenched in more flavor.
And then the best part – soft golden bread, melty cheese, savory crazy tender beef – in-your-mouth. mind. blown. Serve your French Dip Sandwiches with Million Dollar Macaroni and Cheese, Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese Ranch, Creamy Bacon Pea Salad, Baked Beans with Brown Sugar and Bacon, Baked Parmesan Fingerling Potato Fries and/or Perfect Fruit Salad for a night never to be forgotten!
Looking for more slow cooker beef recipes?
- Slow Cooker Honey Balsamic Beef
- Slow Cooker Beef Brisket
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- Slow Cooker Beef Tips and Gravy
- Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa
- Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Slow Cooker Italian Sandwiches
Helpful Tools to make French Dip Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker: is one of my most used kitchen gadgets all year round and is just SO convenient and easy for one-pot meals and makes them taste even more delicious! This is the exact slow cooker I have had for years and love it. It is large, cooks well and is very well made. That being said, this model has more fancy features such as a thermometer port and smart technology which either cooks to specific temperature or cooking time before automatically switching to warm when it’s done.
- Cast iron skillet: A quality cast iron skillet is a must in your cooking arsenal! It is perfect for searing and creating a deeply golden exterior on everything from roast, to pork to chicken and seamlessly transitions from the stove to the I love my super high quality Staub and Le Creuset. You can also go with a more economical, trusty skillet like this one which also works very but it will need to be seasoned and always rubbed with vegetable oil after using.
- Quality Knives: a chef’s knife will be your most used kitchen tool by far!Quality knives make prep time much quicker and are important for safety as well. If you’re concerned about moola, please remember that your best chef knives, depending on how hard you use them and how well you take care of them, can easily last 25 years or more. I love my Wusthof but there are hundreds of less expensive knives with great reviews such as this one.
- Cutting Board: I use my big solid cutting board daily so it’s worth the investment. This extra-large cutting board allows you to prep all your veggies on one surface and the bamboo is easier on knives than plastic.
Carlsbad Cravings Original
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like: