Crispy Fried OR BAKED Southwest Egg Rolls loaded with Mexican spiced chicken, beans, tomatoes, rice, avocado and melty cheese! These Southwest Egg Rolls are packed with so much flavor and texture, they not only make a crowd pleasing appetizer, but a scrumdiddlyumptious meal the whole family will love all served with heavenly Cilantro Lime Ranch Dip! These Southwest Chicken Egg Rolls also freeze super well (instructions included), making a convenient make ahead meal.
You know we love
good great Mexican food around here. And these Southwest Egg Rolls are GREAT Mexican food! They are basically all your favorite Mexican ingredients spiced with smoky, fiestalicious seasonings cocooned in a crispy baked or fried shell. Now there are a lot of Southwestern Egg Roll Recipes out there but what sets these Mexican Egg Rolls apart is the generous addition of cheese and creamy mashed avocados! They envelop the filling so its nice and creamy – no pet peeve dry filling here!
Now just a few notes…
ABOUT THESE SOUTHWEST EGG ROLLS:
- You can prep the filling mixture days in advance – minus the avocado. When ready to make, simply warm up the filling and stir in the avocado. Then all that’s left to do is wrap and either bake or fry.
- You don’t have to use ALL the filling and make a full 21 egg rolls. The leftover Mexican chicken filling can be used in countless ways from stuffing in tacos and burritos, to serving as a dip or on top of a salad. It even would be delicious mixed in pasta.
- You can freeze these Southwest Egg Rolls! Whether your family can’t devour 21 egg rolls in one sitting or in a couple days, or you simply want an easy dinner for later or a snack you can pull out one egg roll at a time, freezing these Chicken Avocado Egg Rolls is the answer! Simply prepare the egg rolls according to the directions – baking/frying as well – then let them cool completely. Wrap each egg roll individually in foil then add to a large freezer bag. When ready to reheat, bake them again per instructions, adding an additional 5 minutes (no need to defrost first), or add an additional 1-2 minutes for frying.
- You can completely customize these Southwestern Eggrolls. Use beef instead of chicken, use shrimp instead of chicken. However, if you want to go vegetarian style you will want to decrease the avocado so the filling isn’t swimming in creaminess. You can also swap out the Cheddar/Monterrey Jack cheese for Mexican Cheese blend, or play with the proportions of filling – just be sure to add less/more avocado according to your changes.
- You can use cooked rotisserie chicken, just add it to your pan when cooking the bell peppers. If you’re feeling extra lazy, you can skip the onions and garlic and use powders instead.
- You can Bake or Fry these Southwest Egg Rolls. That being said, although we don’t fry much at our house, egg rolls are one food I make an exception for. Egg Rolls are hands down better fried if you are looking for that tantalizing, shatteringly crispy crunch. They are still crispy-ish when baked and delicious because of the hearty so-good-I-want-to-eat-it-all-plain filling, just a different type of textural delicious.
- They make a fantastic appetizer, main dish or snack thanks to the tender, juicy chicken.
- They are even better with the silky Cilantro Lime Ranch – don’t skip it!
- They are waiting for you. Every inch of their crispy, scrumdiddlyumptious selves.
Want to try these Southwest Egg Rolls with Chicken and Avocado?
Pin them to your MEXICAN, CHICKEN, DINNER OR APPETIZER Board to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
©Carlsbad Cravings Original
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like: