- 4-5 leg quartersskin removed (drumsticks and thighs)
- 1cup plain Greek yogurtnonfat is fine
- 2tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- 1tablespoon garam masala
- 1 1/2tsp EACH ground cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika
- 1tsp EACH ground coriander, ground ginger, garlic powder, salt
- 1/2teaspoon ground turmeric, onion powder
- 1/2-1teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1teaspoon red food coloringoptional
Cilantro Yogurt Sauce
- 3/4cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2tablespoons Reserved marinade(in directions)
- 2tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1teaspoon lemon juice
Cut 4 deep slits evenly spaced on the top side of each piece of chicken (see photo).
Whisk all the Marinade ingredients together in a large shallow dish or large Ziploc bag. Remove 1 1/2 tablespoons Marinade and add to a small bowl along with all Cilantro Yogurt Dip ingredients. Whisk, cover and refrigerate.
To the remaining marinade, add chicken and turn to coat. Cover/seal and marinate in the refrigerator 8-24 hours.
Remove chicken from the refrigerator 30-60 minutes before cooking.
Grease and heat grill to high heat. Let excess marinade drip off or dab off so it still has some marinade but is not goopy. Add chicken to hot grill and sear for 5 minutes. Flip chicken over and sear 5 minutes.
Cover and reduce heat to low so that the heat stays around 350 degrees F when the lid is closed. Grill with the lid closed for 12 minutes. Flip chicken over, cover and grill and additional 12 minutes. Check chicken temperature. It should register 165 degrees F. If chicken is not cooked to this temperature yet, flip and repeat steps until chicken is fully cooked through.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place chicken on a rimmed baking sheet lined with lightly greased foil. Bake at 425 degrees F for 30-35 minutes OR until the chicken registers 165 degrees F at the thickest part. Broil if desired for more golden chicken.