- 1lb. bulk mild Italian sausagemay sub lean ground beef/turkey – see notes
- 1/2 large yellow onionchopped
- 3 medium size carrotsthinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 4-6 garlic clovesminced
- 1/8-1/4teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 14.5 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes,with juices
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoesno salt/seasonings added
- 7cups low sodium beef broth
- 1teaspoon dried basil
- 1teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 1 small zucchini, sliced and quartered(1 1/2 cups)
- 12oz. refrigerated uncooked cheese tortellini
Heat a large soup pot/Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add sausage and onions and cook for 3 minutes, while breaking up sausage. Add carrots, garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté an additional 2 minutes or until meat is cooked through.
Add all remaining soup ingredients EXCEPT tortellini and zucchini.
Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Once soup is boiling, uncover, stir and reduce the heat slightly to avoid splattering. Simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
Add tortellini and zucchini and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes or until tortellini is tender.
Garnish individual servings with freshly grated Parmesan and mozzarella cheese.