- 8-9oz. Mexican chorizo
- 1/2 large yellow oniondiced
- 1 serrano chile pepperseeded and diced
- 2-3 garlic clovesminced
- 2cups freshly grated Monterrey or Oaxaca cheese(8 oz)
- 1cup freshly grated mozzarella or Oaxaca cheese(4 oz.)
- 1cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese(4 oz.)
- 1tablespoon flour
- 3/4cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2cup pinto beansrinsed and drained
- 115 oz. can tomatoes with green chilesdrained, (Rotel)
- 2 chopped Roma tomatoes
- 1/4cup chopped green onions
- 2tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Tortilla Chips for serving
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Add cheese to a medium bowl and toss with flour. Set aside.
Heat a large cast iron skillet to medium high heat. Add chorizo and cook and crumble for 5 minutes. Add onions and serrano pepper and cook until the chorizo is crisp and the onion is softened, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds. Drain off any excess fat and remove to a bowl (NOT the cheese bowl), do not wipe out skillet.
Turn heat to the lowest setting and add chicken broth. Whisking constantly, add the cheese mixture a little bit at a time until melted and smooth. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, and chorizo mixture.
Bake at 400 degrees F until cheese is hot and bubbly BUT not hardened on the top, about 5-7 minutes. Garnish with tomatoes, green onions and cilantro. Serve immediately with tortilla chips.