- 3-5pounds boneless chuck roast trimmed of excess fat
- 1tsp EACH onion powder, garlic powder
- 1/2teaspoon pepper
- 1tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 5 garlic clovespeeled
- 2cups low sodium beef broth
- 1/3cup pepperoncini juicefrom jar of pepperoncini below
- 2tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 3tablespoons dried minced onions
- 1tablespoon beef bouillon powder
- 2teaspoons dried parsley
- 1tsp EACH dried chives, dried dill
- 1/2teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 whole pepperoncini
- carrots cut into thirdsoptional
- baby red potatoesoptional
- 1/4cup butter
- 1/4cup flour
- 2cups beef broth from slow cooker
Pat roast dry and sprinkle evenly all over with onion powder, garlic powder and pepper and rub into roast.
Heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a large cast iron skillet. Using tongs, sear meat on all sides until browned and transfer to slow cooker. Add whole garlic cloves into the crevices of the roast (usually where there is a seam of fat).
Add all remaining roast ingredients to slow cooker and give them a stir. Add desired amount of carrots and potatoes surrounding roast (optional).
Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours OR until roast is tender.
Once tender, shred roast into small pieces (but don’t completely shred) and continue to cook on low for 30 minutes for the roast to absorb juices. Remove roast pieces to a cutting board and shred (don’t discard slow cooker broth/juices).
Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle in 1/4 cup flour and whisk to create a roux. Cook over medium heat, while whisking, until lightly browned, about 1-2 minutes.
Slowly stir in 2 cups juices/broth from slow cooker (excess grease removed, see post) and bring the gravy to a simmer until thickened. Add additional broth if needed to thin. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper (although it probably won’t need it!)
Serve roast beef over mashed potatoes, rice, or noodles. Either discard peppers or serve them with beef for more tang.