- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 4 medium size carrots, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 5cups water
- 1 10.5 oz. can low sodium beef broth
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 15.5oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2tablespoons beef base or beef bouillon
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon dried basil
- 1teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4head green cabbage, roughly chopped (2 cups)
- Shredded Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
- 1/4cup chopped fresh Italian parsley for serving (optional)
Crumble the beef into a large pot over medium high heat, add the onion and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until the beef has browned. While the beef is cooking, prep the carrots and celery.
Add the carrots, celery, water and beef broth to the pot with the meat and onions. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil as you add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney beans, beef base/bouillon, salt, basil, parsley, oregano, garlic, and pepper.
Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Once soup is boiling, stir and reduce the heat slightly to avoid splattering; simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes, until the carrots are tender (or longer the better, time permitting).
Add the corn to the soup, taste the broth and add salt if desired. Stir in the cabbage, if desired. Cover and simmer for a few minutes more, just until the corn is warm and the cabbage has wilted. Scoop into bowls and, if desired, sprinkle with the cheese and parsley just before serving.