- 1pound lean ground beefor half Italian sausage
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 – 1/2teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 124 oz. jar Prego Traditional Italian Sauce
- 8-10cups low sodium chicken broth, divided
- 114 oz. can can crushed tomatoes
- 2tablespoons tomato paste
- 2teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1tablespoon dried basil
- 1tsp EACH dried parsley, dried oregano, salt
- 1/2teaspoon pepper
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 10 uncooked lasagna noodlesbroken into approx. 1-2 inch pieces*
- 1/2cup heavy cream,optional**
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- freshly finely grated Parmesan cheese
- ricotta cheese
Heat large Dutch oven/large soup pot over medium high heat. Add beef and onion and cook, stirring occasionally until beef is browned. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and saute for 30 seconds. Drain off any excess fat.
Add Prego Sauce, 6 cups chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, sugar, spices and lasagna noodles. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer until lasagna noodles are tender, stirring occasionally (approximately 20-30 minutes).
Discard bay leaf and stir in heavy cream (optional) and 2-4 cups chicken broth to reach desired consistency. Garnish individual servings with desired amount of cheeses.