- 1pound mini farfalle or other small pasta such as rigatoni or shells
- 1pound lean ground beef or turkeysee note
- 1 4 oz. can mild diced green chiles
- 1tsp EACH chili powder, ground cumin
- 3/4tsp EACH garlic powder, salt(omit salt if using ground turkey and bouillon)
- 4-6tablespoons diced canned jalapeno peppers(from 4 oz. can)
- 1 green bell pepperchopped
- 1 15 oz. can black beansrinsed and drained
- corn from 1 ear sweet corn
- 1pint cherry tomatoeshalved
- 1cup cubed sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 small red onionchopped
- 2tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2pound thick center cut baconcooked and chopped
- 1/3cup ketchup
- 1/3cup mayonnaise
- 1/3cup sour creammay sub plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4cup salsamedium if you like a kick
- 1 1/2tablespoons brown sugar
- 1tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4tsp EACH smoked paprika, salt, pepper
- Hot sauce to taste
Whisk together all of the Dressing ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Cook pasta just until al dente according to package directions. Rinse with cold water and drain. Add to a large serving bowl and toss with half of the dressing.
Brown meat with onions in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain off excess grease. Stir in green chiles and all spices. Set aside to cool while you chop your veggies.
Add beef and all remaining salad ingredients to pasta except bacon.
If serving immediately, add bacon and stir in desired amount of dressing. If not serving immediately, hold bacon and dressing and add when ready to serve. Add hot sauce for spicier, apple cider vinegar for tangier, brown sugar for less tangy if desired.
Cowboy Pasta Salad can be served slightly chilled, at room temperature, or heated through. Leftovers are equally delicious heated in the microwave.