- 2 large chicken breastssliced horizontally to create 4 fillets (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 bell peppers, thinly sliced (any mix of colors)
- 8-12 flour tortillas
Chicken Fajita Marinade
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 3tablespoons brown sugar
- 2tablespoons orange juice
- 2tablespoons lime juice
- 2tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2teaspoons ground cumin
- 1tsp EACH garlic pwdr, onion pwdr, salt
- 1/2tsp EACH smoked paprika, chipotle chili pwdr, dried oregano
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 2teaspoons liquid smoke
Chipotle Lime Crema (optional)
- 1cup sour cream
- 2tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1-2tablespoons lime juice, to taste
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4 – 1/2teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/4cup packed cilantro, finely chopped
- Guacamole/chopped avocados
- Recipe Avocado Crema(my FAV!)
- Chopped tomatoes
- black beans
- Freshly squeezed lime juice
MARINADE: In a large freezer bag, whisk together all of the Chicken Fajita Marinade ingredients. Remove 2 tablespoons to use later for vegetables. Add chicken to freezer bag and toss to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator 6 hours up to overnight (longer the better).
CHIPOTLE LIME CREMA (optional): Whisk together all of the ingredients. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use.
CHICKEN: When ready to cook, let chicken sit at room temperature for 15-30 minutes. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Once very hot, dab excess marinade off chicken and add to skillet. Cook chicken undisturbed for 2-3 minutes, or until nicely browned (or blackened if you prefer) on one side. Turn chicken over, cover, and reduce heat to medium. Cook for approximately 2-4 more minutes (depending on thickness of chicken), or until chicken is cooked through. Remove to a cutting board, tent with foil and let rest 5 minutes before slicing across the grain into strips.
VEGETABLES: Meanwhile, Add 1 tablespoon oil to the leftover juices in the skillet along with reserved 2 tablespoons marinade. Heat over medium high heat. Add onions and saute 1 minute. Add bell peppers and saute for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add sliced chicken and toss to coat.
ASSEMBLE: Layer tortillas with Chicken Fajita mixture and desired toppings. Top with Chipotle Lime Crema.