- 1 20 oz. package fresh cheese tortellini – UNCOOKED***
- 1/4cup milk
- 2cups freshly grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1pound lean ground beef(may use 1/2 sausage)
- salt and pepper
- 1/4teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced or chopped
- 1 squash, quartered and sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 6-8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2cup water
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2tablespoons tomato paste
- 1tablespoon dried basil
- 2teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 1teaspoon dried oregano
- 1teaspoon sugar
- 1/2teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 whole bay leaf
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a Dutch Oven (or very large pot) over medium high heat. Add meat and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Add onions and carrots and cook until meat is browned.
Add mushrooms and continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add squash, bell peppers and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Stir in all of the remaining “Bolognese Sauce ingredients” and bring to a simmer. Simmer gently uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
After 15 minutes, discard bay leaf and stir in 1/4 cup milk, 1/2 cup Parmesan and the uncooked tortellini. Stir until well combined then pour 1/2 of this Bolognese tortellini into a 9×13 casserole dish. Top with 1 cup mozzarella then top with remaining Bolognese tortellni followed by remaining cheeses.
Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes then remove foil and broil cheese until golden brown.