- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1tsp EACH chili powder, ground cumin
- 1/2tsp EACH salt, dried oregano, smoked paprika
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4cup flour
- 115 oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 115 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 14 oz. can mild diced green chilies
- 1cup mild salsa
- 110 oz. can mild enchilada sauce
- 5cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1cup freshly grated Pepper Jack cheese
- 4oz. cream cheese, cubed and softened
- Tortilla chips or fritos
- sour cream
- Hot sauce to taste
- fresh cilantro
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or soup pot. Brown the meat with onions until meat is cooked. Add all spices/seasonings, red bell pepper and garlic. Sprinkle in flour and cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes.
Stir in kidney beans, black beans, green chilies, salsa, enchilada sauce and chicken broth. Bring to boil then reduce to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Turn heat to low and stir in cream cheese until melted, followed by pepper jack and cheddar cheese until melted. Add milk to thin to desired consistency if desired. Season with additional salt/pepper/hot sauce to taste.
Serve with tortilla chips/fritos and additional garnishes as desired.