- 4cups broccoli floretschopped into small pieces
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1/3cup all-purpose flour
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2cups milk (any kind)
- 1teaspoon chicken bouillon powder
- 1/2tsp EACH dried/ground mustard, ground cumin, paprika, salt, pepper
- 2oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheeseroom temperature
- 1-2cups freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
Melt butter in olive oil in a Dutch oven/soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and saute for 3 minutes. Sprinkle flour over onions and cook, while stirring for 2 minutes. Add garlic and continue to cook 1-2 minutes or until onions are soft.
Turn heat to low and add chicken broth and milk. Add chicken bouillon and all seasonings. Add broccoli and bring soup to a simmer, stirring constantly. Once it starts to thicken, continue to simmer one minute. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until broccoli is tender to your liking.
Working in batches, remove half of soup (more or less to your liking) to a blender along with cream cheese. Puree until smooth, taking care to let smoke escape or it will explode (I leave a corner open and cover with a paper towel). Pour pureed soup back into pot. Stir in cheese, a handful at a time, stirring after each addition until mostly melted.
Taste and season with additional salt/pepper if desired. Garnish individual bowls with additional cheese (optional).