- 2boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 pound)
- 2 8 oz. blocks cream cheese, softened
- 1/3cup ranch dressing
- 1/2cup sour cream
- 1/2teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/4cups your favorite BBQ sauce, divided
- 2-4teaspoons hot sauce, or more to taste
- 1cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 green pepper thinly sliced then halved
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced then halved
- salt and pepper
- Garlic salt
- 6slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- Bread, chips, or crackers for dipping
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a small oven proof dish (about 8×8) with foil and lightly grease. Add chicken breasts then pour 1/2 cup barbecue sauce over the chicken. Turn chicken a few times to completely cover in the BBQ sauce. Generously season the chicken with freshly cracked salt and pepper. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until chicken is baked through. Let chicken rest at least 5 minutes before shredding.
Add cream cheese to a mixing bowl and beat until smooth. Add sour cream, 3/4 cup BBQ sauce, ranch, cumin and hot sauce to taste and beat until smooth. Stir in 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese. Add mixture to a lightly greased oven proof 10″ round skillet or baking dish that is at least 8″x8″ and 4″ deep and spread out evenly.
Top with remaining 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, followed by the red onion, green peppers, chicken, and mozzarella cheese (I save a few red onions and green peppers to throw ontop of the chicken layer purely for looks). Season with garlic salt and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Optional: Drizzle with extra barbecue sauce, top with bacon and cilantro.
Serve as a dip with crackers/chips or as a spread with bread. Best served warm.