- 1pound 16-20 count shrimppeeled, deveined
- 10-12 strips bacon (NOT THICK), cut in half(half as many pieces of bacon as there are shrimp)
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- 1tablespoon cocktail sauce(recipe to follow OR McCormick® Cocktail Sauce for Seafood )
- 3 garlic clovesminced
- 1 1/2tablespoons McCormick® Grill Mates® Mesquite Seasoning
Apricot Cocktail Sauce (optional)
- 1/2cup chili sauce (tomato based not Asian)
- 1/4cup apricot preserves
- 2tablespoons prepared horseradishmore or less to taste
- 1tablespoon lemon juice
- 1teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4teaspoon hot saucemore or less to taste
OR McCormick® Cocktail Sauce for Seafood
- You may substitute Apricot Cocktail Sauce with McCormick® Cocktail Sauce for Seafood
Soak toothpicks in water for at least 30 minutes prior to grilling.
Add shrimp to a medium bowl or freezer bag. Set aside.
Whisk together all of the Apricot Cocktail Sauce ingredients then add one tablespoon to the shrimp (or use store bought Cocktail Sauce). Add all remaining Marinade ingredients to the shrimp. Stir or turn bag to evenly combine. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes or refrigerate for one hour. Refrigerate remaining Cocktail Sauce separately.
NOTE: Cook only half of the bacon at time, wrap the shrimp then repeat so the bacon doesn’t crisp up and harden.
Line a plate with a few layers of paper towels. Line with half of the cut bacon in an even layer, and top with a layer of paper towels. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes (check at 3 then continue to microwave if needed. I did 4 minutes). You want the bacon mostly cooked but still soft and PLIABLE. Don’t overcook or it will break when wrapping.
Working with one shrimp at a time, place the end of the half bacon strip on the underside of the shrimp and wrap shrimp then secure with a toothpick (see photos in post). Repeat until this batch of bacon is gone then repeat to microwave bacon and wrap second batch of shrimp.
Grease and heat grill to 450 degrees F. Grill shrimp, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes per side, or just until shrimp is cooked. Serve with homemade Apricot Cocktail Sauce or with McCormick® Cocktail Sauce for Seafood.