- 1 3/4 – 2 1/4cups of flour
- 1 envelope Fleischmann’s® Pizza Yeast
- 1 1/2teaspoons sugar
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 2/3cup of very warm water(120° to 130° F)
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg, beaten(egg wash)
Toppings (all or a combo of the following)*
- 1/2cup marinara sauceII like garlic and onion marinara)
- 1/2teaspoon dry basil
- 1/2teaspoon dry parsley
- 1/4teaspoon dry oregano
- crushed red pepper flakesto taste**
- 3/4cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 3/4cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4pound cooked Hot Italian sausage
- 9-12slices pepperoni
- 6slices deli honey ham
- 1/2 small green bell pepper, very thinly sliced, sauteed 3 minutes
- 1/2 small onion, very thinly sliced, sauteed 3 minutes
- 1cup very thinly sliced uncooked mushrooms
- 1/4cup sliced black olives
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Garlic salt
- extra pizza sauce for dipping(optional)
Stromboli Dough: Combine 1 cup flour, undissolved yeast, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Add water and oil and mix together until well blended (you can do this by hand or with your mixer). Gradually add flour, mixing in 1/2 cup at a time, until dough forms a ball. Add additional flour, if needed to handle but dough should be slightly sticky. Spoon dough out of bowl onto floured surface and knead until dough is smooth and elastic; about 4 minutes.
Preheat oven to 425F degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll stromboli dough out into a large rectangle, about 10 by 14 inches on the parchment paper.
Stromboli: Stir parsley, basil, oregano and crushed red pepper flakes to taste (do not use red pepper if you are using Hot Italian Sausage) into 1/2 cup marinara sauce and lightly spread sauce over the dough, leaving a 2 inch plain dough border along the edges. Top sauce with half the grated cheeses, followed by meats, then vegetables followed by remaining cheese.
Brush the plain border of dough with the egg wash. Roll up the Stromboli lengthwise like a jelly roll and pinch edges to seal. Brush the entire Stromboli with egg wash and gently cut slats in the top of the dough every 1-2 inches. Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan and lightly sprinkle with garlic salt. Bake for 15-25 minutes*** at 425F or until golden, covering with foil at the end of baking if necessary to prevent excess cheese browning.
Let cool 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with extra marinara sauce if desired.