This hearty, comforting, healthy Vegetable Soup Soup is guaranteed to become a new family favorite packed with ground beef and veggies in an Italian spiced tomato broth that can be on your table in under 30 minutes and makes an ideal make ahead or freezer meal!
It’s no secret at Carlsbad Cravings that soups are one of my favorite foods, especially Italian soups from my One Pot Lasagna Soup to my White Chicken Lasagna Soup to my Zuppa Toscana, Parmesan Tomato Basil Soup, and Tomato Parmesan Pasta Italian Soup but oh my goodness friends, I’m about to add a showstopper to the list!
Today, I am so excited and honored to bring you this crazy delicious Italian Vegetable Soup from the cookbook Weeknight Dinner Cookbook by Mary Younkin, creator of BarefeetInTheKitchen.com. I still remember the first time I met Mary over lunch over two years ago. I was a pretty newbie blogger and in awe not only at her success and the the chance to chat with her, but her warmth, kindness and wisdom. Mary continues to be a dear friend with the most generous, heart and the best recipes!
I have always loved Mary’s site, and so I couldn’t wait to get my hands on her Weeknight Dinner Cookbook. Its packed with fresh, innovative yet quick and easy recipes that will make last minute weekly dinners stress free and fun every night of the week! The book is divided into Sections based on the amount of time you have: 15-25 Minute Meals, 30-45 Minute Meals, 5-10 Minute Prep (meals that cook on their own in slow cooker, oven, etc.), as well as Simple Side Dishes, Condiments and Spices and Stress-Free Desserts and all the recipes sound AMAZING! If you need a proof of its deliciousness, just make this Vegetable Soup!
This Italian Vegetable Soup recipe has been a family favorite of Mary’s for over 15 years and was actually the first recipe she posted on her blog and continues to be a favorite today and a new family favorite in my family – thank you Mary! My husband loved this soup and repeatedly raved about how good it was.
What do you put in a vegetable soup?
This Vegetable Soup is wonderfully customizable as far as veggies go, but I would stick to the same tomato broth and seasonings. For this Vegetable Soup, we are going use:
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 4 medium size carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 5 cups water
- 1 10.5 oz. can low sodium beef broth
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 15.5 oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 head green cabbage, roughly chopped (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons beef base or beef bouillon
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
Some people have asked if they can substitute the water for beef broth and omit the beef base/bouillon. 1 teaspoon bouillon is typically dissolved in 1 cup of water so you could theoretically omit the bouillon and use 4 additional cups beef broth and 1 cup of water in place of 5 cups of water and 1 1/2 tablespoons beef bouillon.
How do you make Homemade Make Vegetable Soup?
This Italian Vegetable Soup is super easy to make, all in one pot!
- Brown beef and onions then stir in the carrots, celery, tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney beans, water and beef broth and all of your Italian spices. The seasonings are what really set this vegetable soup apart.
2. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15-20 minutes or if you have time the longer the better.
3. Stir in the corn and optional cabbage – and although the cabbage is “optional”- I really think it makes the soup!
4. EAT! How easy was that?!!!
Can I double this Vegetable Soup Recipe?
Yes! This Italian Vegetable Soup is easy to double or triple for a crowd. When doubling recipes, I do 1 1/2x the salt instead of 2x and then add salt to taste if needed. You can leave all of the other measurements the same.
Can I freeze this Vegetable Soup?
Yes! This Vegetable Soup freezes extremely well so you can always have some tucked away for easy lunches or dinners – and you will want some tucked away.
Can I use Fresh Vegetables in Vegetable Soup?
Absolutely! In the summer months, you can pack the soup full of fresh vegetables instead of their canned and frozen counterparts.
Do I have to add beef to Vegetable Soup?
I love the addition of beef, but you can omit it completely or substitute with ground turkey or chicken if you prefer.
Looking for more One Pot Soup Recipes?
- Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken Fajita and Rice Soup
- Cheesy Taco Soup
- Miso Soup with Chicken, Veggies, Shiitake Mushrooms
- Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder
- Lemon Chicken Soup with Tortellini
Want to try this Italian Vegetable Soup?
Pin it to your Soup, Dinner, or Meat Board to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com
©Recipe very slighly adapted from Weeknight Dinner Cookbook
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like: