Hawaiian Beef Taquitos are an intoxicating bite of beef smothered in cheese and spicy, sweet, smoky barbecue sauce and refreshing Pineapple salsa!
These Beef Taquitos are quick and easy to make and BAKED to crispy, cheesy perfection! They make fabulous game day food or lunch or dinner any day of the week!
Beef Taquitos, burritos, enchiladas, tacos, chimichangas, quesadillas- could there be anything more southern Californian than Mexican food?
Mexican food is a staple at our house – corn, beans, jalapeños, mangos, pineapple, avocado, tomatoes, cilantro, lime, rice, cheese and more cheese—what’s not to love? So for my very first post, I thought I would share one of our favorite Mexican inspired dishes – beef taquitos – with a tangy twist.
About Beef Taquitos
These Beef Taquitos are smothered in spicy, sweet, smoky barbecue sauce, mixed with cheddar cheese, then rolled in a tortilla and broiled to crispy perfection. Next, they’re topped with more cheese, barbecue sauce and refreshing pineapple salsa. These satisfying beef taquitos can be on your table and in your mouth in less than 30 minutes!
But I warn you…as the smell of simmering chipotle peppers, garlic, red onions, pineapple and barbecue sauce permeates the air, your house dwellers will become increasingly impatient. It might just be the longest 30 minutes of their life.
What kind of meat do you use for Beef taquitos?
For these Beef Taquitos, I use 1 1/2 pounds of diced flank steak. Flank steak is more economical than other cuts of steak but will emerge buttery tender when diced and not overcooked. Alternatively, you can use a more expensive cut of steak such as trip tip or top sirloin but I don’t tthink it is necessary.
I don’t recommend ground beef for this Beef Taquitos recipe. I have tried it with ground beef and the texture was not nearly as pleasing. You are welcome to give it a try but I cannot guarantee maximum deliciousness.
You may substitute diced chicken for the beef.
What Ingredients do I need for this Beef Taquitos Recipe?
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak, diced*
- red onion (remaining from salsa)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup sweet barbecue sauce (Like sweet Baby Ray’s)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper, minced (from can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
- 1 cup chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
The only ingredient you might not be familar with is chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. If you have never used them before, they are super simple and easy to use and smoky delicious! You will find yourself trying to put them in every dish you make….maybe even Dijon chicken, err, maybe that’s just me…To learn about them, click here.
How do you make crispy taquitos in the oven?
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking tray with foil and place a baking rack on top of it. Divide taquito filling evenly between tortillas and roll as tightly as possible. Brush both sides of each taquito lightly with olive oil, and place on rack, seam side down.
- Cook taquitos for 10 minutes, then turn oven to broil, adjusting oven rack to top middle position. Broil taquitos until golden brown, 2-3 minutes, watching closely so they don’t burn. Flip taquitos over and broil the other side until crispy. Push taquitos together and top with cheese. Broil until cheese is melted.
- Top individual servings of taquitos with more barbecue sauce and pineapple salsa.
Looking for More Taquito Recipes?
- Crispy Jalapeno Popper Beef Taquitos
- Cheesy Baked BBQ Pork Taquitos
- Slow Cooker Honey Buffalo Chicken Taquitos
- Chipotle BBQ Cream Cheese Chicken Taquitos
- Creamy Spinach and Egg Quiche Taquitos with Spicy Roasted Red Pepper Feta Dip
Recipe Source: Carlsbad Cravings Original
Never miss a Carlsbad Cravings Creation:
You might also like: